clownfish/anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
i recently inherited a bubble-tip anenome from someone moving their tank. when my qt becomes available i would like to purchase a clownfish for it. i've researched it and have found that clarki-type, tomato, and maroon clownfish prefer bubbles. which would be the least aggresive? i have a very peaceful tank and would like to keep it that way. i have 4 chromis and a kole tang.

clarkii is your best bet of the three based on my experience with clarkii and tomato's. I have heard maroons are very aggressive

IMO, all three are very aggressive...however, BTAs naturally host theses clowns (A. akindynos, A. allardi, A. bicinctus, A. chrysopterus, A. clarkii, A. ephippium, A. frenatus, A. mccullochi, A. melanopus (primarily clustered form), A. omanensis, A. rubrocinctus, A. tricinctus, Premnas (solitary form only) ) in the wild. Of course since most of these are unavailable...you'll probably be stuck with the three mentioned. I think you should get whichever you like the best, just start with a small specimen.

what exactly do you mean by clustered and solitary? and of all the ones you listed which would you pick? maybe i can have one ordered special. also, the bta seems to shrink up when i turn the light on and constantly shades itself. i know that they like to have their foot in a shaded crevice but i thought they get energy from the light. i've only had it about 2 weeks so maybe it's still shy. any information you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. i rescued it from someone who was moving and going to dump it, and while my tank is not technically well established i'd like to do right by it. thanks again for all your help.

just for that ever ellusive Very Low Probability Statistic.......when I moved my carpet and saddle anenomes to the new tank, my percula went straight over to the Condilactus Gigantea, and stayed there until I moved the condy. Condy's aren't supposed to host anything, so there is always that very low probability variable that lets you get away with non normal circumstances. Just something to keep in mind.

As for your questions about aggressiveness.............clarkii(mean), tomato(meaner), maroon(meanest), relative to other clown species of course.

i just tried to feed it a piece of shrimp and it wouldn't take it. it has eaten some blender mush that flew into it once but when i tried to feed it some 5 days later it "spit" it out. can someone fill me in the habits of bta's since i can't find alot of specific info. like why does it shy away from my lights?

Back
Top Bottom