Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
KeeperOfFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Garland,TX
Posts: 724
Send a message via Skype™ to KeeperOfFish
Clownfish Behavior

My two ocellaris clownfish have been hanging in the right back corner of my biocube for a while now. All day every day they move the sand away or out of the corner until there is no more there. I always push the sand back but they do it again. Can anyone explain this behavior to me?
__________________

__________________
KeeperOfFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperOfFish
My two ocellaris clownfish have been hanging in the right back corner of my biocube for a while now. All day every day they move the sand away or out of the corner until there is no more there. I always push the sand back but they do it again. Can anyone explain this behavior to me?
May be trying to lay eggs, they like laying them on a flat surface but usually they do it after they have made a home..maybe their organizing by moving sand out?
__________________

__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
KeeperOfFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Garland,TX
Posts: 724
Send a message via Skype™ to KeeperOfFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16

May be trying to lay eggs, they like laying them on a flat surface but usually they do it after they have made a home..maybe their organizing by moving sand out?
I originally thought they were trying to lay eggs too, should I put in something flat and see what happens? And maybe so.
__________________
KeeperOfFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Mpfaff77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
My spawning clowns constantly move sand. Seems like they do it for some protection. They sleep in the hole they make as well as lay eggs. Try putting a ceramic tile in tank. Rough side up. The day before and day off spawning the female clown gets little white thing coming out of her stomach where she lays her eggs from. Don't know what it is called tho.
__________________
Mpfaff77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
KeeperOfFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Garland,TX
Posts: 724
Send a message via Skype™ to KeeperOfFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpfaff77
My spawning clowns constantly move sand. Seems like they do it for some protection. They sleep in the hole they make as well as lay eggs. Try putting a ceramic tile in tank. Rough side up. The day before and day off spawning the female clown gets little white thing coming out of her stomach where she lays her eggs from. Don't know what it is called tho.
Thank you, I'll do that.
__________________
KeeperOfFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
behavior, clown, clownfish, clownfish behavior

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.