Clownfish behavior...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salty Dog

Aquarium Advice Regular
My clarkii clown has been acting kinda wierd lately... it's been digging in the sand(with its tail) right under the anenome. it's never done this before, is it possibly some pairing behavior?

That is mating behavor. Basicly instinctivly clearing a spot for eggs to be deposited.

Really! Because he, or she,(do you know what sex this one would be?) really picks on the other clown. The other fish don't have a problem with the clown. Is that normal behavior for a mating pair? I thought they were supposed to be freindly to eachother?

The larger one is ALWAYS the female. Infact if the female should be removed from the system and a smaller clown is introducted the larger of the two would become the female.

Well, they are both pretty much the same size...the one digging the is slightly bigger, but not much. I hope they are a mating pair, this would be exciting for me seeing as though this is my very first tank and it's only been running for almost 6 months. But this is also a disadvantage too I'm sure, because I'm a little inexperienced for this... :cry:

My clarkii is also digging under the the BTA, but he is the only clarkii in the tank. The other clown fish is a Maroon. I don't think my clarkii is clearing a spot for laying eggs, so why would mine do that?

The bigger clown is ALWAYS the female?
My friend has two clowns in a tank. One is medium size and vibrantly colored and the other seems to have gotten smaller and paler since being added. The bigger one nips at its fins and stuff too.

It's a condy anenome. I'm not really sure what kind of lighting to tell you the truth... :oops: What kind of answer would you be looking for about the lighting? 8O

Back
Top Bottom