Clownfish belly ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronH

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have two ocellaris clownfish i think they are a mated pair now they seem pritty chummy with each other all ways with each other etc etc. my question is that the female has developted a verry large underside to her and it is a yellow colour i thought that she might be producing eggs getting ready to lay but a friend at work told me that i could possible be her swimbladder he sed that this is what happens when they have problems with there swim bladder and that the swim a a funny angle instead of normal. my clown is not swiming like that yet and it has just made me wonder weathere it is her swim bladder or weathere she is getting ready to lay eggs ? anyone have any experiance in this ?

the only thing is that i have not seen them clean off an area yet or any of that behaviour

I dont think they change colour with eggs,and they always clean somewhere although you may not see them do it,they will lay eggs every 8-14 days plus the bulge on the fish isnt just on the underside.If she hasn't laid within a couple of days then its not eggs.

kool its only the bulge that has gone really yellow i will keep an eye on them n keep posted thanks

My male percula does this all the time. Couldn't say why or how it happens, but a few times a month when he eats he swells just below his fins. It's like he swallows air because it doesn't happen when I feed pellets or fresh food, just floating flakes. He floats to the top, it takes about an hour or so then goes away. He's been doing this for about a year now, so I wouldn't think anything is wrong. Just monitor it.

My male percula does this all the time. Couldn't say why or how it happens, but a few times a month when he eats he swells just below his fins. It's like he swallows air because it doesn't happen when I feed pellets or fresh food, just floating flakes. He floats to the top, it takes about an hour or so then goes away. He's been doing this for about a year now, so I wouldn't think anything is wrong. Just monitor it.

i dont feed my clown fish flakes they get frozen foods mainly brine shrimp so i dont think its air. it has been there for a few days now so am hopeing its nothing major

my female is laying every 10 days,when she gets big she lays within 2 days,lets hope she lays.
Then you have the choice of trying to raise or just let em be food!!

my female is laying every 10 days,when she gets big she lays within 2 days,lets hope she lays.
Then you have the choice of trying to raise or just let em be food!!

isit possible to raise inthe same tank with an intank hatchery or isit to much hassel

You should vary their diet, mine get frozen food, usually a mix of shrimp, squid, clam, etc. once a week and I alternate flakes and pellets for their second weekly feeding.

i sometimes feed flakes and its a mixture of brine shrimp and mysis and sometimes they will take krill. i have not been able to find any marine pellets what do u recomend for in uk ?

He could do with a fart like us humans do!! lol

i sometimes feed flakes and its a mixture of brine shrimp and mysis and sometimes they will take krill. i have not been able to find any marine pellets what do u recomend for in uk ?

New Era marine pellets,mine go mad for them.

lol my belly do change colour when i fart i duno about u lol

My male clown does tons of weird stuff, I posted awhile back. I named him baldwin as a gag, he swims upside down,and plays dead so well I have gone to get him out of the tank before only for him to magically "revive" when I open the canopy. I am not fooled now. It's like he schemes at night on things to do so I think something is wrong with him.

My male clown does tons of weird stuff, I posted awhile back. I named him baldwin as a gag, he swims upside down,and plays dead so well I have gone to get him out of the tank before only for him to magically "revive" when I open the canopy. I am not fooled now. It's like he schemes at night on things to do so I think something is wrong with him.
nah,just clowning around.lol

Lol, when I first asked about it the response I got was, they are called clowns for a reason.

clowns are funny fish indeed! if she has not laid within a few days you will know its not eggs.

Back
Top Bottom