clownfish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echo7

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi first of all i love the website. its a great idea to help the spreading of ideas and advice.
i was intrested in breeding clownfish. i don't want anemones, because thier tentacles are too far reaching and dangerous in a reef tank. the inhabitants will be a bicolor blenny, a royal gramma, and either a kole or purple tang, and of course the clownfish (i think just 2). Some corals they might consider will be an elegance coral, a colt coral, a LPS probably a divisi coral (frogspawn). Do you think they would live in these corals?

i also had one more question. whenever i look on a website the clownfish fry are described as planktonic. does this mean they can't swim? will they be sucked down an overflow, or do they stay with thier parents and coral home?

thanks in advance for all of your help

In a normal reef tank they are just a monthly supply of food for the corals and other fish. I don't know anyone successful in breeding them without a tank setup just for breeding. (no other fish or other predators)

To my knowledge clowns will guard their eggs, but not the fry. The fry when young will be at the mercy of your filter and the other tank inhabitants.

If your truely interested in breeding clownfish, you should purchase the book: Clownfishes by Joyce D Wilkerson.

thanks for the advice. by the time my tank is fully set up i should have an empty quarrentine tank, maybe i will try that. i'll also make sure to pick up a copy of that book.

Back
Top Bottom