Clownfish Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had one false percula clownfish and recently added one more. As soon as i added the other which is fairly smaller he started following him and when the larger one attacks him, which he has only done two or three times, he started twitching. Everywhere the larger one goes the small one follows. I was just wondering if the will breed, and if so how long should it take for them to do so. Thanks

ok just a couple minutes ago i also noticed the larger clownfish twitching on its side once or twice. Do u know why it would be doing this? And on its first night they both stayed in the same frogspawn and they weren't fighting. How will i know when they are mated and do u know how long it should be till they breed.

It can take months to years,wait until all the twitching has finished this will be when the small one has conceded that the large one is the more dominant and the female.there are a couple of things you can do to help the mating process.
you need to mimic spring time in the tank.
try not to clean the tank too much apart from the front glass
drop salinity to 1.020
feed the clownfish more than usual,but keep water quality good.
raise temp to 80
All this will make the fish think there is enough food for their fry to survive and will help.
you will then notice the clowns cleaning one spot in the tank,usually some LR
If you want to breed put a terracotta pot in there to try to encorage them to spawn in the pot,this will help you in the future.then research alot.
A few things you will need for breeding/raising fry
a couple of small tanks
rotifer cultures in salt buckets
air pumps
heaters
brine shrimp cultures
2 terracotta pots
patience

ok just a couple minutes ago i also noticed the larger clownfish twitching on its side once or twice. Do u know why it would be doing this? And on its first night they both stayed in the same frogspawn and they weren't fighting. How will i know when they are mated and do u know how long it should be till they breed.
Read the link I posted! lol

Back
Top Bottom