Clownfish choices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lionfishlover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Which is the best type of clownfish for a beginner? I was thinking of the clarkii clownfish because I have heard they are the most easy to acclimate to an aquarium. How much more delicate is the common clownfish?In the tank there will be 2 cleaner shrimp, 5 hermit crabs, a lemon goby,and 2 midas blennies. The tank is a 45gal with skimmer and LR.

Most O. Clowns are tank raised and do very well in the aquarium because it has never been in the wild with anemones.

I agree a captive bred occelaris clown is probably the hardiest and in my opinion, best for a beginner. Your other tank inhabitants shouldn't be a problem mixing with a clownfish.

If you don't mind me, I would like to suggest maroon clowns. I had a false perc and it died in 3 months. I now have a maroon clown and is been healthy and eating for 8 months now. I like maroons.

I had bad luck with a Sebae and Perc Clown. My Tomato clown was the answer for me. The key is just to be sure that you will be happy with the clown long term.

I agree with Fluff and the others the the False Percula tank raised clown is the best all around choice.

One of my first fish in my tank was a maroon, I've had him for over a year now, however he's getting pretty big, and he's very aggresive (espesially towards me)!

I have a pair of Ocelleris Clowns (false perc) and they have been troopers for me. THey were the first fish i got and have been through all the trial and error portions of my latest stab at this hobby. My O. Clowns even survived a lympho attack and have since fully recovered. I got them when they were really small about 6 months ago with one being slightly larger than the other. They have since paired up and the one is huge compared to the other. Hopefully they will mate. I would suggest O. clowns because they are super hardy, easy on the wild reefs, and generally a gorgeous specimen. They do awesome for beginners.

I had Pec. clowns (two) Both died, however my yellow tang survived whatever ailment they had (I'd had them approx 6 weeks, without problems...

Is it better to have TWO Clowns if you have an anemone? I've a tank raised clown now for about 8 weeks w/o a problem. He doesn't seem to care for the anemone much.

I read a lot of articles wherein clowns pretty much host anything and that anemone is not necessarily a preferred environment, not even a necessity.

In terms of tank raised false percs, the only thing that drove me away from them is (a) those lines end up incomplete or missing, (b) they are too pale, and (c) they look like FAKE false clowns (if that actually makes some sense). 8O

We got 2 O Clowns from saltwaterfish.com a few weeks ago and they seem to be doing real well together. They love all 3 anemones we have and do the brusha-brusha thing all the time. I have even seen the larger O Clown (female?) feed the condi anemone once.

O think the O Clowns are awesome so far.

Back
Top Bottom