clownfish coexistence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodoubt471

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a large ocellaris who is about 4 years old, and i assume female since she never had any other clownfish tank mates. right now she is housed in my 44g corner tank with only a pseudochromis.
my issue is i really want a pair of clowns. i am going to be upgrading to a 55g, and obviously my current ocellaris will be going into it, but i was wondering if it would be possible (or advisable) to add an additional pair? ive been dying to get a black onyx pair, but they are mucho $$ and i would hate for something to happen to them, or to my curent clown (i'm very attached- shes my baby!) any ideas?

Black Onyx percs are actually just percs (in black clothes) and too closely related to the Oc you have now. I wouldn't be inclined to put a pair of percs into the tank as I'm all but positive that your current Oc would kill the female from the pairing. I would be more inclined to add a very small juvi/male Oc to your current environment in hopes of forming the pairing that way. I think a 44 is too small for 2 pairs of clowns territorially speaking.

Good luck on the intro. I was nervous about adding a juvi to my maroon (typically much more hostile fish) but the pairing went swimmingly! I couldn't have been happier with the result. I actually have a younger second maroon female in another tank and tried to offer her a mate as well. Unfortunately she thought I was offering lunch and tried vehimently to kill it. That poor fish has been banished to the sump until either he grows some or we find a new home for him! I think the older ones actually pair more easily as they are further from the dominance/transformation issue. JMO though.

Back
Top Bottom