Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ayesha97 Send a message via Yahoo to Ayesha97
clownfish compatibilty?

Went into the LFS and drooled over the MANY MANY black and white false percs they had. Does anyone know how a b&w false perc will behave with a normal colored false perc? I have a 20 gal tank and would like to get another clown. I talked with the guys at the LFS and they didn't think it would be a problem because they are the same species. I just don't want to have unhappy fish esp is such a small tank. Has anyone tried this combination??? (and if it looks like it won't work out- that will just save me $60! *sigh* but they are so cute!)

Thanks

Old 12-06-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

$60 for the B&W perc!!!! 8O How big is it? That is a very high price.

I have seen the two different ones in a pic here in a qt...

Old 12-06-2004, 03:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ayesha97 Send a message via Yahoo to Ayesha97
They had a bunch of different sizes, but since my current clown is not very big, need to find one smaller than it.
And yes.. $60 is a bunch for one fish, thats why I wouldnt' be terribly upset if they didn't get along.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try buying it online if possible.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your current ocellaris has reached maturity and been alone in your tank for a month there is a good chance that it has become a female. As long as you get a juvenile black white ocellaris it should be ok.

IMO, $60 for a black white ocellaris is an outragous price and should be no more than $30(still high). You can get a captive bred Onyx perc for $70 which is in the more difficult to obtain category. It has been know that ocellaris and percs can form a pair bond.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
60 bucks is rather pricey. I have seen them at my LFS for around 30 bucks. I think that Percs and Ocellaris clowns have good temprements. the tomato clowns can be territorial. Not positive, but I belive that the B&W clowns are also easy going. I would get a smaller juvinille clown so that pairing goes easily.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't want to steal the thread or anything but I do have a quick question... Are the black and white perc's a color variety that are found in nature? Or have the been selectively bread from mutations that have occurred during captive breeding programs? Anybody know?
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
they can be found in nature, although I belive that most of what you find will be tank-raised (much like the Ocellaris clowns usually purchased at pet stores.)

check this out: http://www.solodvds.com/saltwater_in...lownfish&ID=31
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound_for_obx
Are the black and white perc's a color variety...
Not to be picky but they are actually A. ocellaris and not A. perculas
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam
Quote:
Originally Posted by bound_for_obx
Are the black and white perc's a color variety...
Not to be picky but they are actually A. ocellaris and not A. perculas
I'm cool with that! 8)

140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com