Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question Clownfish compatible for my tank?

I have an 8 gallon saltwater tank containing live rock, some mushroom coral, and a yellow watchmen goby. Would it be ok if I placed a baby clownfish and maybe some shrimp in the tank? If the clownfish got to big I could trade it out for another baby as I have done the latter with baby angelfish in one of my freshwater tanks. I just want some input to see if my watchmen goby will get along with it. fish2:

Old 12-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shrimp yes but don't out a clown in an 8 gallon it's too small for one and clowns seem to like being in pairs better

Old 12-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it's small and tank raised ocellaris it should be ok for a little while. Frequent water tests and water changes will be required though. Just make sure you don't stuff a Maroon or Clarkii in there.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You can DEFINITELY put in a clown, just do not overwhelm such a small tank with too many fish.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hate to be one of those people that say don't do this and don't do that, but here http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...755&pcatid=755 it recommends at least a 20 gallon tank for tank bred occ. Clowns. Also I can tell you from experience even when my occ. Clowns were only 1.5" in length they would swim the entire length of my 45g (36") tank.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpbustillo View Post
Also I can tell you from experience even when my occ. Clowns were only 1.5" in length they would swim the entire length of my 45g (36") tank.
I don't doubt this especially if they didn't have a host anemone. The OP might also want to consider the fish below as an alternative. I still think a little occy (not a pair) would be ok though.

Swissguard basslet: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Swissguard Basslet
Possum Wrasse: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse
Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They actually host one of my frogspawns, but still travel the tank during the light hrs.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe look into this fish here http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...181&pcatid=181
Old 12-22-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

8 gallons is pretty small and I'm not exactly sure what to say about putting an Ocellaris Clownfish in itÖ But what I can tell you is that I have a Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish in my 10Gal tank along with 3 snails, and 3 hermit crabs. It's the only fish in my whole tank as I don't want to risk overstocking my small tank. Tank has about 12lbs of LR and about 2 inches of sand. I run an Aqueon 20 HOB filter and an Aqua Clear 20 as well. I also have 2 small power heads for good flow. I got my Clownfish for my B-Day back in early September and he's doing great! If you go through with it, just monitor your params and gauge your water changes. I do my WC every 2 weeks but I do about 40% WC and that keeps my Nitrates down to about 10ppm-20ppm. Don't listen to people that say it cannot be done. I've heard of people that keep Blue Tangs in a 55 gallon tank, they are healthy and look happy and the recommended size of tank to keep such a fish is 180 gallons!!! I know I might get hate for this, but I think it would be ok if it's the only fish...
Old 12-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would say 20 gal minimum for a clown, mine swims like crazy in my 75, yet now he mainly sticks to him nem. You could add some cool fish
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a....cfm?c=15+2124

Clown gobies are cool along with the smaller cardinal fish. I also love Pygmy wrasses and harp tails.

Tags
clown, clownfish, compatible, fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com