Clownfish desperate to host

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon FOWLR with a clownfish. He's a little desperate to host... he's created little pockets in the sand which he has decided to try to host in. I feel bad and want to get him something. I have standard fluorescent lighting and don't really want to upgrade. I know anemones are out but I'd like something hardy, colorful, that can survive under my lighting and make my clown happy. Would a frogspawn work? Any other suggestions?

I wouldn't worry about it - your clown is just being a clown. Mine does the same thing. Somewhere I think I read that clowns do this, even if there's an anemone in the tank anyway. I'll see if I can track that down...

I agree... with kurt_nelson. I have a pair of true percs and I got an anemone for them that was supposed to be one that they would go for. They are totally not interested. However they have a nook in the live rock where they are doing the same thing your clown is doing.

As far as frogspawn goes, I have seen one used as a surrogate anemone at my lfs and those clowns are all over it. From what little I know about this hobby, I know that clowns are unpredictable and you may or may not get them to host an anemone. It's hit or miss.

I agree with the rest, he is just being a clown and there is no guarantee it would host anything you put in there.....

For what's it worth.....I have a couple of clowns that I purchased several different types of corals for. They don't have anything to do with them and choose to host a piece of live rock instead. Go figure....

I understand he doesn't need, and may not even use it. The last clownfish I had didn't. But the way I see it is, if I get one I may only have a 10% chance he'll go in it, but if I don't get one he has a 0% chance. I don't really care about the $60 or whatever to buy one. I'd like to just give it a shot. Worst case is, it's just a pretty coral in my tank.

I was disappointed the first time I tried, but I won't get my hopes up this time. :) Thanks for the words of warning.

pinkie said:
Worst case is, it's just a pretty coral in my tank.

Actually... the worst case is that it WILL take up residence in it, and irritate the host LPS to the point that the coral dies, and you're back at square one.

Believe it or not, not many people call me an optimist. :lol:

insert college budget (ie no money for coral) why not try an ornament anemone? worse to worse you take it back for a refund

Kurt_Nelson said:
pinkie said:
Worst case is, it's just a pretty coral in my tank.

Actually... the worst case is that it WILL take up residence in it, and irritate the host LPS to the point that the coral dies, and you're back at square one.

Believe it or not, not many people call me an optimist. :lol:

You dont say Kurt? lol

Back
Top Bottom