Clownfish falling into overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aravindk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a pair of clownfish from liveaquaria without realizing they are extremely small. Now they keep falling through the perforations for the overflow (mine is a reef ready oceanic tank). Someone in this forum suggested a while ago that there is a way to prevent from the small critters blocking or falling through the overflow. Can someone elaborate, please?

There are a few methods. The most popular are light diffuser grid "eggcrate" and sponges. Really small critters can slip through the eggcrate, it has a plastic grid with about 1/2" spacing, but most fish won't slip through. You can find it in the Home Depot lighting isle.

Alternatively you can pick up a large filter sponge and trim it to fit your overflow, and stick that in the top of the overflow.

Desperate to keep the clowns, I got the drywall repair kit which comes with a aluminium patching sheet. I cut this into smaller sizes and hung over the overflow slots. If it ever falls down, I will try one of your methods. Thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom