Clownfish fry setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David S

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought I would post how I hatch and raise my clownfish fry to you all who may venture into breeding clowns,At the moment I'm breeding percs but have aquired a couple of picasso perc's to which I hope to breed later.
Photo showing salt bucket submersed in fry growout tank,this also ensures the water parameters are always the same when the fry are transfered from the bucket to the growout tank.
IMG00030-20110503-1729.jpg
salt bucket with a hole cut out and filter media covering it.Pipework from sump feeding fry growout tank.

IMG00028-20110503-1728.jpg

IMG00029-20110503-1729.jpg
Photo showing the pipework runs down to the bottom of the clutch of eggs so water flow always flows over the whole clutch to eliminate any fungus growing.You can just makeout the clutch of around 200 eggs inside the terracotta pot which i remove from the DT the day before hatch is due.

IMG00031-20110503-1729.jpg
Sorry about the photo quality.

Neat! I'd love to see pics of the growing fry! About how many actually survive from the 200 eggs? Do you feed the young live brine at first?

I've got about 140 so far,but I will probably loose half of them.I feed rotifers for the first 6 days and then baby brine shrimp as well for another 4 days,then bbs and flake food.I have only 1 left from the last clutch I kept,the rest went to my local lfs for credit.

i was curious also how do you get them to lay eggs in the flower pot?

i was curious also how do you get them to lay eggs in the flower pot?
Its takes a bit of time but basically all I did was cover the spot on the live rock they laid there clutch on,If your clowns aren't laying yet just put the pot in and they will probably host it!!

Do you feed the baby brine anything special to make them more nutritious before they get fed to the fry?
No,as they only feed on bbs for 4 -6 days and then on to flake,that is enough,but I do feed the rotifers about 20mins before feeding them to the fry for a bit more nutrition.

I'm very interested in this! I would love to breed my clowns but I have no idea what I'd do with the baby's.

You just need too research the process,You'll probably already have most of the equipment.The main thing as in keeping marine tanks is patience.There will be more deaths than survivors for the first couple of months but gradually will get better.Once your fry get past meta(around day 8-10 and start to colour)they should all survive from that point.I found if you get past day 6 they will survive.

IMG00075-20110526-1616.jpgJust an update,New clutch of eggs hatched 2 days ago,I reckon there's about 350 of them,photo is best I can do with my Blackberry.

And about how many do you successfully raise each time? A mated pair will spawn about every 10-15 days right?
I normally get to raise around 50%, the new clutch are doing better than normal,I reckon i still have 95% at day 6,just a couple more days to meta and they should all survive.every 2 weeks yeah

Back
Top Bottom