Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
ChiTownRomeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 465
Clownfish help!!

OK so my tank has been up for 4 months now. I purchased a pair of False Perc Clowns from a breeder on ebay. For the last 3 months the clowns do NOTING but go up and down the glass, around a powerhead and back and go back up and down the glass. Do I have a retarded clown? One clown got big and the other is still small. The smaller one is the crazy one. They are maybe inch and half and they have a big 4 foot tank. It's a waste of space cause all they do is stay to the left of the tank and go up and down the glass. I got some Xenia, GSP, and GBTA, they won't even look at it as far as hosting it. Do I just have retarded clowns? Maybe tank rased clowns don't have the natural instinct to host.
__________________

__________________
ChiTownRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Coralbeauty81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownRomeo View Post
OK so my tank has been up for 4 months now. I purchased a pair of False Perc Clowns from a breeder on ebay. For the last 3 months the clowns do NOTING but go up and down the glass, around a powerhead and back and go back up and down the glass. Do I have a retarded clown? One clown got big and the other is still small. The smaller one is the crazy one. They are maybe inch and half and they have a big 4 foot tank. It's a waste of space cause all they do is stay to the left of the tank and go up and down the glass. I got some Xenia, GSP, and GBTA, they won't even look at it as far as hosting it. Do I just have retarded clowns? Maybe tank rased clowns don't have the natural instinct to host.
I have had housed percula clownfish pairs on a few different occasions, I found one was also smaller then the other. They should introduce a mated pair at the same time. As they can have issues if not. My clown seem to hang out in the same area of the tank on most occasions. It has claimed that surrounding as its home in the tank. It does however seem to enjoy hanging out in my blue and pink spotted shrimp gobys home in the bottom of the rock/ sand bed.
__________________

__________________
Coralbeauty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Coralbeauty81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19
[QUOTE="Coralbeauty81;2230774"]

I have had housed percula clownfish pairs on a few different occasions, I found one was also smaller then the other. They should introduce a mated pair at the same time. As they can have issues if not. They don't grow at a fast rate .. My clown seem to hang out in the same area of the tank on most occasions. It has claimed that surrounding as its home in the tank. It does however seem to enjoy hanging out in my blue and pink spotted shrimp gobys home in the bottom of the rock/ sand bed. Does the fish seem stressed? You've check all your levels ?
__________________
Coralbeauty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Guero607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
It just takes time one day they will swim by and feel the Anemone and like it and start slowly Hosting it that's what happened to me
__________________
Guero607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
squidward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: long island. new york.
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero607 View Post
It just takes time one day they will swim by and feel the Anemone and like it and start slowly Hosting it that's what happened to me
I would move the power head or somehow get flow pointed in the direction they are at . Force them out
__________________
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Crystal A's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 1,069
Clowns just normally act weird. The size difference is normal. The larger of the two will be the female and the smaller will become the male. All clowns are born female I belive. As far as the swimming pattern it's normall. A lot of clowns pick a spot they like and swim eraticly in it. Usually it around power heads at least that's what mine do. As far as the nem it's harder to get tank raised clowns to host. I've had a nem in my tank for months and they haven't noticed it. Clowns will be clowns that's why they are called clowns! Lol
__________________
Fish are our friends.
Crystal A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jake337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal A
Clowns just normally act weird. The size difference is normal. The larger of the two will be the female and the smaller will become the male. All clowns are born female I belive. As far as the swimming pattern it's normall. A lot of clowns pick a spot they like and swim eraticly in it. Usually it around power heads at least that's what mine do. As far as the nem it's harder to get tank raised clowns to host. I've had a nem in my tank for months and they haven't noticed it. Clowns will be clowns that's why they are called clowns! Lol
All clowns are born sexless juveniles.
__________________
Jake337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake337 View Post

All clowns are born sexless juveniles.
Actually all clowns are born non-breeding males.

Little tid bit from wikipedia below.

"Each group of fish consists of a breeding pair and 0–4 non-breeders. Within each group there is a size-based hierarchy: the female is largest, the breeding male is second largest, and the male non-breeders get progressively smaller as the hierarchy descends.[4] They exhibit protandry, meaning each fish is born male, but will only change to female if the sole breeding female dies. If the female dies, the breeding male changes sex, becomes the breeding female and the largest non-breeder becomes the breeding male."
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
uh.oh...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brevard, North Carolina
Posts: 418
And you can even extrapolate that out further. If you have clowns that have been kept in solitude, chances are that clown is female. Either because it was to begin with, or it did it's sex change thing, because if there are no females around a clown will become female. It's more probable she would meet up with a male clown in the wild that way.

So to relate this to our aquariums, often times we get two female clowns. Maybe you have one that's been alone too long, or the lfs kept it alone. Then if you get another clown, that's also been all lonely at that lfs you have a fight on your hands. Clowns don't change back.
__________________
See My Tanks Here
I have found the best way to cycle your tank! Want to know how? Pee in it. Build thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-141081-3.html Scientific Reading: Reefkeeping
uh.oh... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Crystal A's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 1,069
Thanks for clarification schsim. I couldn't remeber exactly how it worked. The one thing I was sure of was that the larger is female.
__________________

__________________
Fish are our friends.
Crystal A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.