clownfish hosting pains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R33F FeTiSh

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have some Palys that I think are darth mahls. My clownfish hosted them and after a six month time a nice sized branched colony depleted to 5 polyps or so. I moved it to the back of my tank and they left it alone. Bought a piece today that is similar but a different shape. Same color pretty much. I placed it on the other side of the tank and wouldn't you know it, at it again. They never host anything else, just those. I know its a banghi in the pic but that's the colony.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110821_214026.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110821_214026.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 154
  • ForumRunner_20110821_214132.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110821_214132.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 130
My clowns almost hosted my elegance coral to death, it's just the nature of the beast. I had to give away the coral to save it. :-( There's not any way I know of to STOP them from hosting....

Yeah, I sold a Duncan a while back because my percs hosted it. Then I gave those to my friend(scubasteve) and they hosted some xenia. I am now giving these to scuba and unfortunately I don't think I will get anymore clowns. Maybe later ill dedicate a tank with a nem for some but theres too much coral in my tank now for them. Who knows what a different pair will host. Not a chance ill take again.

self-centered

My clown has the choice between a hammer coral and a variety of mashrooms and decided it is better if he hosts his own reflection in the bow of the bow-front tank.:facepalm::facepalm:

Ausfish said:
My clown has the choice between a hammer coral and a variety of mashrooms and decided it is better if he hosts his own reflection in the bow of the bow-front tank.:facepalm::facepalm:

Maybe that's my clowns sleep in the top corner of my bowfront lol

Try picking up a cheap anemone and taping a pic of a clown hosting a nem to the tank. Have heard this works so
It may be worth a try. Better to try and strike out than not swing.

They might not even host a nem if you got one, it's hit or miss. Mine didnt but they did host the coral. Go figure...

I for sure wouldnt go out and just buy a nem for this purpose, their needs are great and then what do you do if the clowns dont host it? Thye arent the easiest thing to keep in a tank. pristine water, established tank and super lights are a must for them to begin with.

My clowns have hosted with a Red Algae Bamboo, you can easily pull off any bits that need to be removed and regenerates quickly. It adds great colour to the tank too!

Back
Top Bottom