Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clownfish in an aggressive tank?

My tank contains a lunar wrasse, a niger trigger, a foxface, and a small blue damsel. I would like to get a larger clown to put into the tank too. Just wondering what species of clown would grow to the largest and/or witch is going to be the best at holding it's ground. The trigger doesn't show any aggression at all so it's not the one I'm worried about. The lunar erasable is probably the meanest fish I have and its about 4 inches long. Any ideas or am I just hoping for something that isn't realistic?

Old 06-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are a few clowns that would work. I think you could get a good sized pair of maroon clowns or tomato clowns. They are both pretty agressive and get bigger then the usual clowns.

What size tank?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Nu-Nu . Also, Clarkii Clowns are pretty large and aggressive too. I had one for years and he was like a little bulldog.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
There are a few clowns that would work. I think you could get a good sized pair of maroon clowns or tomato clowns. They are both pretty agressive and get bigger then the usual clowns.

What size tank?
Its my 125. I was thinking about the tomato clown. I'm just concerned it/they wouldn't be big enough before they got beat up. I may have to wait a while so I could house a bta. I just don't know if my tank is "old" enough to support one but it would definitely provide protection. The tank is coming up on 8 Months old.,
Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea tank should be old enough for a nem! And trust me tomato clowns get pretty dang big, but it would be hard to find larger ones being sold. I saw a full grown tomato give a foxface a good chase. It was pretty funnu
Old 06-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure you two understand. My wrasse is really mean! I has a spotted grouper that was much larger than the wrasse and the wrasse killed it. It tore the eyes out of his head then chewed it apart once it couldn't see. Its truly a mean fish. I'm really worried about putting anything else in there as long as I have him. But its such a cool fish, I don't want to get rid of it. What to do... what to do...
Old 06-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand that your question was " which clownfish gets the largest and which ones are best at holding their ground"
For these questions, we gave you some valid answers.
If you are also asking, if a clown will do OK in a predator tank, with a " known " killer, then no probably not.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
I understand that your question was " which clownfish gets the largest and which ones are best at holding their ground"
For these questions, we gave you some valid answers.
If you are also asking, if a clown will do OK in a predator tank, with a " known " killer, then no probably not.
Very true! Sorry. I do like the ideas given. I think I may remove the wrasse and out it into my sump for a couple weeks to allow the clowns to claim their area. Then later, bring the wrasse back unto the tank. I do like the maroon clowns and I think that will be the route I'm going to go. First I need to upgrade my lighting to support a bta. Thank you all for your great responses!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That sounds like a pretty good approach, it may make the Wrasse check himself, with his behavior, and give the clowns some time to adjust.
I agree with your statement about having a Nem for them to have some protection too. I think that would help them out a lot.
Best of luck with it!
Old 06-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I threw a killer Clarkii in with my 2 yellow tail damsels that were horribly aggressive. they tried to chase him away but he held his own no problem. Now the three get along good and it's only been a week.

Tags
aggressive, clown, clownfish, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com