Clownfish Jumping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddy-o

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 1.5" clown has twice now jumped into my overflow box (inside the 90gal tank). I have not seen it happen, but I do not see a way for him to swim in there. The larger clown is staying in the tank.

Should I put a net or screen over the top of the overflow? I'd hate for him to jump up there and then just die.

Daddy-o said:
My 1.5" clown has twice now jumped into my overflow box (inside the 90gal tank). I have not seen it happen, but I do not see a way for him to swim in there. The larger clown is staying in the tank.

Should I put a net or screen over the top of the overflow? I'd hate for him to jump up there and then just die.

First check for stray current and ammonia/nitrite, often these can cause fish to jump. However your best bet is a screen top for jumpers. Otherwise likely he will be found carpet surfing one day.

Some devices like pumps and probes can leak a little electricity into the water. You can sometimes notice it when working in your tank with bare feet. You might feel a tingle, Fish do not like this. The faulty device needs replacing. And you can add a grounding probe to the tank, many do. A sensitive voltmeter can tell if you have a problem.

Otherwise, fish jump for all sorts of reasons. I keep my tank covered in clear mesh (BRS) because a favorite fish could jump anytime.

I just my little clown this way:-(. I had a brief ammonia issue so that was most likely my issue. Previously, he had gotten into my overflow too. This time I found him dried up on the floor. Sucks. He is the first fish I have ever lost. I am definitely making a net cover.

I would go with netting from BRS..

It could also be your larger clown. Is she agressive? That could cause the smaller one to jump, ive heard of it happening. The bigger one just spooks the smaller

Gregcoyote said:
Some devices like pumps and probes can leak a little electricity into the water. You can sometimes notice it when working in your tank with bare feet. You might feel a tingle, Fish do not like this. The faulty device needs replacing. And you can add a grounding probe to the tank, many do. A sensitive voltmeter can tell if you have a problem.

Otherwise, fish jump for all sorts of reasons. I keep my tank covered in clear mesh (BRS) because a favorite fish could jump anytime.

Exactly, usually not the problem but something to look into. Usually you will feel a light or strong tingling when u put hand in the tank. But sometimes its not really noticeable to us atleast.

Daddy-o said:

mine did this to, only he took the ride all the way to the sump! Placed some zips threw the over flow grates for about a month. Now they have grown large nuff not to slip threw, or know better. I love my baby clowns though!

I would check your water parameters and check for stray voltage to see if it's a defective piece of equipment. If you find a defective piece of equipment replace it and "DO NOT PUT ON A GROUND PROBE" if it happens again the ground probe will make the problem worse. Get a couple gfci receptacles instead and plug half of your equipment into each one, make sure there is at least one powerhead on each so water still circulates if one trips.

GFI's are a very good idea for everyone. The ground probe should not be used to correct a problem with faulty equipment, they are used to ensure there is zero electrical potential in the tank. I doubt it was electrical shocks that caused the clown to jump anyway.

Back
Top Bottom