Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabibi
The female will be much bigger than that before they start spawning. Do you have an anemone for them?? I have had my clowns for about 5 or 6 years and they lay eggs every 14 days. They never layed eggs until i got them an anemone. The times that i have taken out there anemone and put a different anemone they stopped laying eggs for a while. My female is more than twice the size of the male. I have bred them before and it is not an easy task. It takes alot of work.
1+ I agree with him 100% I just started breeding a pair a of midnight clown fish and vary difficult the kids would not eat that much and were vary picky and I hatched my own brim shrimp and they were still picky and right now only a few are still alive. But I joined the hobby because of an interesting hobby but slowly learned that it is vary difficult. I then decided that there was a lot of money that could be made in this hobby but realized it is a vary difficult thing to do if you are breeding and trying to make money. If you really want to make money than open up a shop and buy fish from cheaper distributors and sell them at the shop but the key thing with that is that your fish must look good and heathy or they will never even noticed and get the cool rare fish cuz people like that more than fish you see every day.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice! Yeah i've always wanted to raise clown fry and gain experience from it. I feed them 3 times a day. Dried brime shrimp and pellets.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

A guy I know owns a shop and you don't have to be an expert because I am the guy always will go see for help cuz I kinda know more about this stuff then him but the point is you don't need to be a expert to open a shop but to breed you need to better than an expert I learned that the hard way but losing money.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake337
Nice! Yeah i've always wanted to raise clown fry and gain experience from it. I feed them 3 times a day. Dried brime shrimp and pellets.
Would not recommend it to anyone less than expert.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Go for it if you think you are ready.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

But I defiantly won't breed any more after this if I lose money and I think I will.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer 22

Would not recommend it to anyone less than expert.
Well I mean you got to start somewhere. You can't become an expert if you never experience or try.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake337

Well I mean you got to start somewhere. You can't become an expert if you never experience or try.
I agree jake, but i would advise against breeding clowns. I assume you are a beginner right? Thats great and i believe you COULD breed clowns if you wanted too, but from your profile pic you also look to be a teenager like myself, and let me tell you breeding clowns is not easy. You need to have at least 3 tanks maybe more. 1 for the parents, 1 for the fry, 1 bigger one for when the fry get bigger, and 1 more if the male and female start to harass eachother so you can seperate them. It kida sucks the fun out of fish keeping....and its expensive. Will take a longgggg time to make your money back.

Just keep workin on your tank and if you still want to try and breed clowns, go for it!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah true nu nu. It'll probably be a couple of years before I start cuz my clowns are just starting to become a pair. I think what makes me want to breed is that this years going to be it, I'm going to be more busy next year once I apply for college and stuff and I'd like to be able to raise clowns of my own before I hit college. I probably won't have another opportunity to do so until like I'm an adult.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

True, but i think you should just learn as much as you can now and keep a healthy, awesome reef tank. Then raise clowns when you are older, more experienced, and richer. Lol

Tags
clown, clownfish, pair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com