Clownfish pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep in mind....

Keep in mind that saltwater fish breed on a lunar cycle. You may want adjust your lighting to create different cycles of the moon. This might help induce their breeding.
In the past, wild clowns of approximately 2 years of age would start breeding. If you are dealing with tank raised clowns, size does not become as much of an issue as age does. If they are not old enough, they won't breed.

Hope this helps(y)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I agree jake, but i would advise against breeding clowns. I assume you are a beginner right? Thats great and i believe you COULD breed clowns if you wanted too, but from your profile pic you also look to be a teenager like myself, and let me tell you breeding clowns is not easy. You need to have at least 3 tanks maybe more. 1 for the parents, 1 for the fry, 1 bigger one for when the fry get bigger, and 1 more if the male and female start to harass eachother so you can seperate them. It kida sucks the fun out of fish keeping....and its expensive. Will take a longgggg time to make your money back.

Just keep workin on your tank and if you still want to try and breed clowns, go for it!

1+ Could not of explained it better myself

Nu-Nu the eel said:
True, but i think you should just learn as much as you can now and keep a healthy, awesome reef tank. Then raise clowns when you are older, more experienced, and richer. Lol

Also agree with that

Andy Sager said:
Keep in mind that saltwater fish breed on a lunar cycle. You may want adjust your lighting to create different cycles of the moon. This might help induce their breeding.
In the past, wild clowns of approximately 2 years of age would start breeding. If you are dealing with tank raised clowns, size does not become as much of an issue as age does. If they are not old enough, they won't breed.

Hope this helps(y)

I bet you are right but I don't know because I breed tank raised midnight clownfish.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I just really want to breed them because they were the reason I started saltwater. I guess cause I started with breeding guppies and stuff when I was younger so I wanted to go a little more advanced. But yeah waiting I can do.

Haha alright. I use the iPod app, can't find delete button on messages.

Its not that differcult to raise clown fish fry,I've been raising them for a while,mine lay the clutch in a terracotta pot which i remove on day 7 to another system,they hatch in a salt bucket submersed in the tank and stay in there until they are around 3 months,they are then transfered to small grow out tanks.I used 2 old tanks and bought 4 12"x12"x12" tanks as growout tanks,plumbed them all to the same system using old pumps I had.there's a few photo's in my profile.I dont do it for the money but it does pay for it.I sell perc clowns to my LFS for £5 each and there are normally around 100 of them.I am now trying to breed some picasso clowns at the moment.

David S said:
Its not that differcult to raise clown fish fry,I've been raising them for a while,mine lay the clutch in a terracotta pot which i remove on day 7 to another system,they hatch in a salt bucket submersed in the tank and stay in there until they are around 3 months,they are then transfered to small grow out tanks.I used 2 old tanks and bought 4 12"x12"x12" tanks as growout tanks,plumbed them all to the same system using old pumps I had.there's a few photo's in my profile.I dont do it for the money but it does pay for it.I sell perc clowns to my LFS for £5 each and there are normally around 100 of them.I am now trying to breed some picasso clowns at the moment.

That's awesome. Im still planning on doing it just waiting for my clowns to be ready. Do you place the pot inside your main tank?

I waited for the first clutch then placed the pot as close to this spot,they hosted the pot then I moved it down to the front of the tank.They stayed with it.

If u introduce then together and let them do their thing

What if I have one already and it's with anemone.. I wouldn't be able to introduce another and let them do their thing?

JuanArti said:
What if I have one already and it's with anemone.. I wouldn't be able to introduce another and let them do their thing?

You still can. The one you have in your tank is probably already a female depending how long you've had it. If you want to pair it up with a clown, make sure you get it from a tank where it isn't the only clown and is one of the smallest clowns in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom