Clownfish Photos..Please Critique..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

If theres one fish that I cannot get the perfect photo of is the clownfish. I have 2 pairs, one tomato and one ocellaris pairs. I love the ocellaris, but when I take photos they're "faces" always seem a little too blurry. Anyone got any tips?

I have attached some pretty bad photos..Please let me know where I can improve.

I resized these from 1mB to 12kb, so they look crummy!!

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• ocellaris_clown_1.jpg
    ocellaris_clown_1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 252
  • ocellaris_clown_2.jpg
    ocellaris_clown_2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 255
  • ocellaris_clown_3.jpg
    ocellaris_clown_3.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 262
IMO, the best one is the third one posted, it has the sharpest face of the 5. A couple of things that could help all these photos is more DOF (depth of field/focus) which means you need to stop down (smaller aperture/higher f-number), this is difficult in an aquarium setting, which is really a lowlight situation, but can be accomplished by increasing the iso and/or using an external flash to provide more light. Compositionally, the sharpest one is probably the worst, in most cases (certainly not all though) putting the subject smack dab in the center is uninteresting. Imagine drawing a tic tac toe board on your photo and placing the suject pretty much anywhere but the middle square. The most interesting points being at the 1/3 mark in the corners.

my camera has a grid option for the veiwfinder.. I know your camera is a piece of work compared to mine Matt.. surely it has that option.. :p
was the room completely dark? putting some extra light over the tank would help.. and your camera should be able to adjust to at least and ISO of 400 maybe even 800..
and you know/told me clownfish pictures are to apeal to the masses! your such a sell out!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
funny stuff matt.. :p
yea.. you dont see me taking pictures yet.. but you wait! Ill woop ya! :twisted:

oh and nice pictures sellout :mrgreen:

JK JK JK JK JK.. :p

thanks for the feedback everything, looks like im going fiddle around with the camera a little more..!

and you know/told me clownfish pictures are to apeal to the masses! your such a sell out!!!

Haha i know bill...I know..

i always shoot my aquarium shots at ISO 800 with no flash. and select only one square to the focus. i dont know if you camera has tha option. also like was mention, stopping down a little bit will give you a better chance of getting you subject in foucs.

what kind of camera are you shooting?

steve r

with that camera you can select which of the squares you see in your view finder is the point it uses for auto focus. there are some many things in an aquarium setting that if leave them all active, it will focus on just about anything......except your clown :)

also try a tripod. i have been shooting from farther away with a longer focal length lens and using a tripod. the fish dont alter thier behavior as much because they cant see you as well

steve r

Mr. Matt.........This is the old Melissa........."inside joke" You are way to hard on yourself little one! Great shots what kind of anemone is that. New to this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom