Clownfish problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaysie84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a clownfish that hosts a anemone already and I just purchased another clownfish and the old one keeps attacking the new one. I'm nit sure what to do

How long have you had the new one? Sometimes they need a bit to decide a pecking order and see who's boss.

Khij159753 said:
How long have you had the new one? Sometimes they need a bit to decide a pecking order and see who's boss.

Only about 4 hours but the old one is constantly attacking the new one as soon as it see it.

Well idk I can't see how he's attacking but I heard that's pretty normal and should stop in a few days. They're the same type of clown right? Is it just nipping at the fins?

They are the same, yes. It attacks as soon as it sees the new one. The new one has visible fin damage already

Hmmm... Try taking the old one out. Rearranging some rock. An putting him back in. That's the only thing I can think of.

I had the same problem pairing maroon clownfish. Soon as it see the new fish it attacked it. I got a breeding net and put the new fish in it and put it as close to the other clown as possible, at first it tried attacking it thought the net but after a couple of days it stopped. When i let the new one out, there was a little bit of chasing but the new clown should start to shiver its whole body to show that its surrendering to the other one. Hope this helps. Also is the new clown noticeable smaller than the other? I found the smaller the new fish is, the better chance you've got of pairing.

Breeding net is a good idea thanks. The new one is half the size of the other one so hopefully they will match up. The new clownfish is hibernating in the top if the tank in the corner it looks miserable is this normal

Yeah that's normal, it will take some time to settle in as its a little stressed from the attacking but it's should be fine. They are hard work to pair up, it's been about month now and my little clown still get a nip every known and again. He's not always allowed in the anemone either lol

Terryc said:
Yeah that's normal, it will take some time to settle in as its a little stressed from the attacking but it's should be fine. They are hard work to pair up, it's been about month now and my little clown still get a nip every known and again. He's not always allowed in the anemone either lol

Oh ok cool I was worried that he might get to stressed and die if the situation stayed the same . I've been reading that they are hard to pair I have another magnifier anemone immune tank so hopefully if the don't pair it will host that anemone fingers crossed

Keep a close eye on that newbie in your tank especially if he's smaller than his opponent. There is a chance they wont pair up and will continue to fight. Clowns should really be added together or a larger one second. I have 2 clowns one female and one male and they're amazing together.

Perhaps the re-arranging might work though. Its worth a try.

Woke up this morning and my new clownfish has had his fins hacked he got hammered. I'm not sure if it was my old clownfish or the domino damsels.

Yeah damsels can be territorial as well. Are he's fins completely missing? Mine lost a small bit of he's tail and half he's fin but they have started to grow back. I had one failed attempt before this o and that was messy, lost fins and most of tail.

Yeah his back fin has a little bit of damage but his front 2 are almost gone he is on his side on the bottom of the tank think he is on his way oit

O sorry to hear that, they are a nightmare to pair, i guess that's why they are a bit more expensive to get them already paired.

Terryc said:
O sorry to hear that, they are a nightmare to pair, i guess that's why they are a bit more expensive to get them already paired.

Thanks. Yeah this guy got me $30 to but a pair over hear it's over $200.

My poor clownfish has gone to fishy heaven. Hope life is better for you on the other side. Have fun playing with the other nemos 

It's about the same here in England, I think I paid £25 for each clown and they want £80-£100 for a pair. Not cheap. Do you think you will try again or is that it now?

Yeah I'll try again I'll buy a pair and get a big anemone and at the shop I'll get them to put them in the same bag so they host the anemone before I let them out hopefully that works

Back
Top Bottom