Clownfish question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i really want to get a true perc clown, but i was wondering that if i got two of them, if they would mate. i don't want them to, but would they if i had only two of them? is there any way to prevent mating?

i think clown fish are hermafidites and the dominent one becomes the male,(is this true?) you probably wont have too worry about the fry if you have other fish in the tank as im sure they will gladly eat them.

well, actually, it's the other way around, the dominant one becaomes the female, but all i was planning to keep in the tank was the two or three clownfish, and i really don't want any more then that..

i guess there is always the chance of them breeding, if you have other fish in anouther tank just feed the fry too them.

Unless you buy too large females (which will fight and possibly kill each other so don't!), you are almost assured to get a mated pair of clownfish. However, the larval stage resulting from any spawning is difficult enough to be successful when you are actually trying, so I highly doubt you would have to worry much about being overrun by new clowns.

I would go with a pair of clowns expecially if we are talking about the 30 gal tank from your previous post.

Once again I would suggest the book "Clownfishes by, Joyce D. Wilkerson" if your interested in clown breeding.

ya, i'm still talking about the same tank, and i'm not interested in breeding them, that's the problem, is there any way to stop them from breeding?

i dont think there is a way too stop them from breeding unless you only get one, but like the pervious post said the chances of them surviveing are not all that high.

that's true, but i wouldn't want to have to clean up a bunch of dead baby fish, it'd be kinda depressing lol..

Back
Top Bottom