clownfish spawning behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a pair of tomato clowns that are acting a little odd lately. They have been together almost 2 years. They are very large sized. Usually they are all over the tank when I feed, but last night, they were both hugging the fluval intake tube and just quickly darting out and returning after snatching a piece of food. I looked closely at the tube and the surrounding area for eggs and have not seen any. (I had angelfish spawn repeatedly on filter tubes so I thought that might be what was up)

Anyway, to shorten this story and get to the question, is this normal pre spawning behaviour or do I need to look for something else?

It can be normal spawing behavior unless anythings been added/changed recently. One main thing to look for is if the pair (usually started by the male) are attempting to clean the surface area of the chosen spot. This is often a precursor to laying eggs. The male will also be much more attentive to the female in general than normal.

Cheers
Steve

nothing has changed in the tank...so I will start watching.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom