Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clowns

Morning everyone, seems that yesterday my clowns decided to host a rather large clump of hair algae lol is this an ok thing?? I was goin to get a cleaning crew this coming week to try and get rid of it, but would that be detrimental to the fish, when I was ready I wanted to get an anemone but I just finished my cycle a week ago

Old 06-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This made me laugh lol my clowns host the upper right corner of my tank. I would still get a CUC. If the clowns don't want them cleaning the hair algae, they'll let the crabs and snails know.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's a pic of it lol, I think i need to read up on clowns and their behavior they're interesting. So the cuc is a good idea you think?? What exactly should I get? And how long should I wait to get an anemone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2260397346.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	41730  
Old 06-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ps I currently have one emerald crab but he doesn't make a huge impact on the tank
Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Have you tested your water for nitrates and phosphates? Do you use tap water or ro/di water? I'd wanna try to get rid of the algae the natural way.

Second. Youre water has to be pristine and your lights have to be uber bright to keep an anenome. They usually don't do well in recently established tanks. Give it like 9 months and if you still want one if your lights are good maybe you can try it.

Clowns willhost anything as you can see, they dont NEED a nem to host. They can host clay pots, corals and just about anything. It's always hit or miss with them even hosting anything.

My misbars dont host anything and my b&w's dont either. They used to host an elegance cortal but it had to be removed since they almost killed it. LOL
Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
thats funny their hosting algae lol
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think mine are hosting sand right now. They wont leave the spot and they keep rubbing into it. lol
Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

LMAO! mine have the corner with a room mate of a chromis!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1823626295.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	41741  
Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Have you tested your water for nitrates and phosphates? Do you use tap water or ro/di water? I'd wanna try to get rid of the algae the natural way.

Second. Youre water has to be pristine and your lights have to be uber bright to keep an anenome. They usually don't do well in recently established tanks. Give it like 9 months and if you still want one if your lights are good maybe you can try it.

Clowns willhost anything as you can see, they dont NEED a nem to host. They can host clay pots, corals and just about anything. It's always hit or miss with them even hosting anything.

My misbars dont host anything and my b&w's dont either. They used to host an elegance cortal but it had to be removed since they almost killed it. LOL
These little guys are crazy ! Thanks for your input, I've been using lfs ro and have found that it has pretty high tds like 25 and I kno ro can be seen as low as 2 so I'm retro fitting the bathroom sink in my apartment to run my Kent maxxima while I'm at work so I won't have to buy it and 2nd so I can have the best water I can get
Old 06-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

And as for lighting an anemone I don't know if I'll be able to I have a 2 dual 96 watt pc light fixt is that enough and it's not can anyone suggest a fixture I could use

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com