Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowsdime

Aquarium Advice Freak
Morning everyone, seems that yesterday my clowns decided to host a rather large clump of hair algae lol is this an ok thing?? I was goin to get a cleaning crew this coming week to try and get rid of it, but would that be detrimental to the fish, when I was ready I wanted to get an anemone but I just finished my cycle a week ago

This made me laugh lol my clowns host the upper right corner of my tank. I would still get a CUC. If the clowns don't want them cleaning the hair algae, they'll let the crabs and snails know.

Here's a pic of it lol, I think i need to read up on clowns and their behavior they're interesting. So the cuc is a good idea you think?? What exactly should I get? And how long should I wait to get an anemone?

Attachments

• image-2260397346.jpg
    image-2260397346.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 261
Ps I currently have one emerald crab but he doesn't make a huge impact on the tank

Have you tested your water for nitrates and phosphates? Do you use tap water or ro/di water? I'd wanna try to get rid of the algae the natural way.

Second. Youre water has to be pristine and your lights have to be uber bright to keep an anenome. They usually don't do well in recently established tanks. Give it like 9 months and if you still want one if your lights are good maybe you can try it.

Clowns willhost anything as you can see, they dont NEED a nem to host. They can host clay pots, corals and just about anything. It's always hit or miss with them even hosting anything.

My misbars dont host anything and my b&w's dont either. They used to host an elegance cortal but it had to be removed since they almost killed it. LOL

I think mine are hosting sand right now. They wont leave the spot and they keep rubbing into it. lol

carey said:
Have you tested your water for nitrates and phosphates? Do you use tap water or ro/di water? I'd wanna try to get rid of the algae the natural way.

Second. Youre water has to be pristine and your lights have to be uber bright to keep an anenome. They usually don't do well in recently established tanks. Give it like 9 months and if you still want one if your lights are good maybe you can try it.

Clowns willhost anything as you can see, they dont NEED a nem to host. They can host clay pots, corals and just about anything. It's always hit or miss with them even hosting anything.

My misbars dont host anything and my b&w's dont either. They used to host an elegance cortal but it had to be removed since they almost killed it. LOL

These little guys are crazy ! Thanks for your input, I've been using lfs ro and have found that it has pretty high tds like 25 and I kno ro can be seen as low as 2 so I'm retro fitting the bathroom sink in my apartment to run my Kent maxxima while I'm at work so I won't have to buy it and 2nd so I can have the best water I can get

And as for lighting an anemone I don't know if I'll be able to I have a 2 dual 96 watt pc light fixt is that enough and it's not can anyone suggest a fixture I could use

Ok so a little update on the hosting and hair algae, I picked up a couple cuc members today and dripped them and added them about an hour ago I got another emerald crab, two Mexican turbos and 2 regular turbos and an algae blenny, everything seems fine but the clowns are kinda thrashing their tails and the algae blenny when he tries munching on the hair algae, like they're are being defensive of the algae which they have recently hosted last weekend, is this going to be a problem resulting in the blenny not getting enough food?

Hey if you want to have the look of a nem but don't have the lighting for it yet, go to the dollar store and buy a tentacle sponge ball. They come in different colors and for a buck if they don't host its no big deal. Theres a YouTube video of some clowns hosting one. I would post it but I'm on my phone

yeah your clowns may stop anything going near the HA,they will host anything,but not a quarantee they will host a nem,try a terracotta pot for them to host and they may if paired lay their eggs in it,thats what mine do.

David S said:
yeah your clowns may stop anything going near the HA,they will host anything,but not a quarantee they will host a nem,try a terracotta pot for them to host and they may if paired lay their eggs in it,thats what mine do.

+1 mine do as well

They arnt even scared of me when I went to place a turbo on the rock w the algae, they came up and thrashed their tails at my hands!! I thought you were never supposed to bite the hand that feeds!! Haha

Back
Top Bottom