Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J19Reynolds

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What would cause 2 clown fish to get aggressive to each other? I just noticed the bigger one shaking at the smaller one n not letting him move far wo coming ack at him... Hes not biting him just being a bully seems...They have been together in same tank for about 2-21/2 months... Only change is yesterday I got a coral beauty angel... They were all fine yesterday and this morning til I just now noticed this

Probably just on their way to becoming a mating pair. Perfectly normal behavior. The larger of the two is establishing dominance and will be the female.

I thought they already did that bc while bk the bigger did the shaking but that was it she didn't keep him under lock n keep like she was last night... This morning they seemed fine... Could light difference cause it too? Then we're under the moon light last night and this morning no light... :-/

light wouldn't be an issue. Clowns are all born male, and the most dominant becomes female. Clowns, left to themselves, at least in my experience, become female (because it increases their chance to procreate). So, if your clowns are fighting, one is showing its dominance, and probably becoming female. If however, you just put two clowns together (i know you said 2 months, this is just by example) and they're fighting, then chances are they're both female, and one will kill the other.

They aren't fighting fighting just the bigger is making the other "bow" down to her you could say she will come up to him n he will kinda turn side ways like ok ok get off me now kinda thing.... This morning they were swimming together as they normally do though... So maybe she finally got threw to him lol

shimmy is the term for what the smaller one does. Sounds normal too me. Look out for "dog shaking." If the larger one grabs the smaller, and starts to shake, well then its time for new clowns.

No, they are all born as males. 2nd largest becomes the breeding male. The others remain as male juveniles.

Ok well hopefully that's all they were doing haven't had any problems w them at all... They seem to act normal this afternoon :)

Don't worry about the clowns one of my clowns has recently been getting bigger and just last night I was studying in the living room and saw that the big one was bullying the small one and got scared but then researched a little and found that its normal, its funny cuz now it looks like they play more the big one chases the small one and then hides and then does it again

Back
Top Bottom