Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Clowns

What would cause 2 clown fish to get aggressive to each other? I just noticed the bigger one shaking at the smaller one n not letting him move far wo coming ack at him... Hes not biting him just being a bully seems...They have been together in same tank for about 2-21/2 months... Only change is yesterday I got a coral beauty angel... They were all fine yesterday and this morning til I just now noticed this

Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Probably just on their way to becoming a mating pair. Perfectly normal behavior. The larger of the two is establishing dominance and will be the female.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought they already did that bc while bk the bigger did the shaking but that was it she didn't keep him under lock n keep like she was last night... This morning they seemed fine... Could light difference cause it too? Then we're under the moon light last night and this morning no light... :-/
Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

light wouldn't be an issue. Clowns are all born male, and the most dominant becomes female. Clowns, left to themselves, at least in my experience, become female (because it increases their chance to procreate). So, if your clowns are fighting, one is showing its dominance, and probably becoming female. If however, you just put two clowns together (i know you said 2 months, this is just by example) and they're fighting, then chances are they're both female, and one will kill the other.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They aren't fighting fighting just the bigger is making the other "bow" down to her you could say she will come up to him n he will kinda turn side ways like ok ok get off me now kinda thing.... This morning they were swimming together as they normally do though... So maybe she finally got threw to him lol
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

shimmy is the term for what the smaller one does. Sounds normal too me. Look out for "dog shaking." If the larger one grabs the smaller, and starts to shake, well then its time for new clowns.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh.oh...
Clowns are all born male
This is incorrect. They are born sexless. The two top dogs in a given group become the male and female.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, they are all born as males. 2nd largest becomes the breeding male. The others remain as male juveniles.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok well hopefully that's all they were doing haven't had any problems w them at all... They seem to act normal this afternoon
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't worry about the clowns one of my clowns has recently been getting bigger and just last night I was studying in the living room and saw that the big one was bullying the small one and got scared but then researched a little and found that its normal, its funny cuz now it looks like they play more the big one chases the small one and then hides and then does it again

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com