Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am interested in purchasing two clown fish for my 55 gal tank. I have not yet decided if they will both be maroon, true percula or one of each. I plan on getting tank breed. If I get one of each and introduce them at the same time will they get along? The only other fish in the tank are a few three stripe damsels (which I was told are not very aggressive compared to other damsels) and a black sail fin blenny.

All Damsels are little demons IMO with the exception of Green Chromis. If you have a lot of rock work the new additions may be able to defend themselves and carve out some new territory.
I would get two of the same clowns instead of one of each and intrduce them at the same time. They will fight until one is dominant.

All Damsels are little demons IMO with the exception of Green Chromis. If you have a lot of rock work the new additions may be able to defend themselves and carve out some new territory.
I would get two of the same clowns instead of one of each and intrduce them at the same time. They will fight until one is dominant.

i would first remove the damsels. And if you get two percula clowns, they should not fight, and soon you will discover that they actually become very close to each other, follow each other around the tank, sleep in the same general area, etc.

Agreed, I have 4 percs is my tank, introduced together. Once the dominance was established, they formed a big happy family.
I have heard often that different types of Clowns will fight, so I would get 2 of the same and introduce together.

I wouldn't even consider two Maroon clowns unless your sure they are already paired or if your prepared to have a whole nother tank set up to separate them. Maroons are the most aggressive of the clowns and will fight pretty much til one is dead unless they are a pair. Whichever way you decide to go I wish you the best in your endeavor.

So you think I should try and give the damsels back to the lfs? What would be a good tank mate for clowns?

Well how big is your tank? Percual clowns will fight, and maroons are liekly to kill one another if their not already paired. A single clown does just fine on its own.

How about false perculas that are tank born and raised? I have heard that they are much more friendly amoungst their own if they are intoduced together. What other fish would make good tank mates with a pair of clowns in a 30 gal besides gobies, chromis, and damsels?

Back
Top Bottom