Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Clowns!

I currently have a 75 gallon reef tank, that I would like to stock with some Clown Fish. Not knowing much about them, I'd like to ask for some advice concerning them.

1. How many Clown fish would you suggest stocking in this size tank?
2. Any suggestions on preferred types of Clowns to purchase?
3. Lastly, I like the Saddleback Clown alot, does anyone have any thoughts about this fish?

Below is my current live stock:
120 lbs of Fiji and Tonga live rock, 110 lbs of live sand, 1 Bicolor Blenny, 1 Six Line Wrasse, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp, 3 Peppermint Shrimp, 4 Emerald Crabs, 12 reef hermits, 12 snails, and many Corals.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Clowns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSolo
I currently have a 75 gallon reef tank,

1. How many Clown fish would you suggest stocking in this size tank?
No more than two, preferabley a mated pair. I would definately urge against mixing species. The tanks too small.

Quote:
2. Any suggestions on preferred types of Clowns to purchase?
My personal preference will always be TR or TB if possible. Much healthier animals from the start. If you a refering to species, there's not really a concern at this point in stocking the tank unless you choose a more boisterous species like maroons or cinnamons.

Quote:
3. Lastly, I like the Saddleback Clown alot, does anyone have any thoughts about this fish?
With what you have in the tank now, the saddle should do fine. They are quite peaceful as far as clowns go.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-21-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Steve, clowns can be aggressive and you should avoid mixing species. If you want more then one, go for a pair of true percs. Make sure they are a mated pair and have been together at the LFS for a long time. Most LFS will gove you a good deal on pair of clowns so they do not have to break them up. The main one I go to refusses to break up pairs and will not sell just one.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thoughts on a pair of Clarkii Clownfish????
Old 06-22-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
steve-s

Clarkii's would be fine but just keep in mind as a mated pair they can be quite territorial. Very personality loaded fish, just watch your fingers! The fish you have now should not be a concern though.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-22-2004, 06:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Most Excellent Advice!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes clarkii can be a little mean and territorial, I just recently returned one to the lfs...IMO percs are very entertaining to watch with the playful behavior, bobbing in the current, etc....clarkiis for the most part are all business, they are entertaining with an anenome though and probably most likely to host one of the clowns

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com