Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
A condy is not a clown hosting anemone. I would not expect to see any clown go in it.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

If indeed the anemone was playing surrogate to the clownfish, it very well could rehost. May I ask, what other inhabitants was the clownfish sharing the tank with at the lfs? Were they bagged separately or together in a single bag? Although condylactis normally are not accepted as a host anemone, various corals, pvc, and other mechanical equipment are not natural hosts either, yet clownfish still adopt them. Depending on what other inhabitants you have filled your tank with, the clownfish may not feel insecure in wanting that particular host any longer.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

He is the only swimming inhabitant in the tank. I have the usual clean up crew of crabs, snails and some shrimp in there. I suspect he feels secure enough that he doesn't need to be in there.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Different clownfish have different host preferences in the wild. If they are tank-bred there's a good chance they won't host at all.

You can check out Clownfish and Anemone Compatibility or Clownfish Host Anemones or Clownfish and Anemone & Compatibility

As you can see, there are many sources to help find the combination that would give you the best chance of hosting.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Tankbred vs. Wildcaught clowns doesn't have anything to do with it IME and IMO and others.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Tankbred vs. Wildcaught clowns doesn't have anything to do with it IME and IMO and others.
I'm just going by anecdotal evidence that there is a difference. I don't know of any studies that have shown or looked for a difference.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to aquazen
I think clowns will host in whatever it wants to. Like people, kinda like a personal preferrence. I have a pair of clowns that squatted on a toadstool mushroom. And when I gave that away, they relocated to my pink Colt Coral. They're crazy fish. A lot of fun to observe.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update: It's been a couple weeks now since I've added the clown and anemone. While he has yet to actually go in it, he does swim very close to it and actually rubs it once in awhile. Maybe this is all part of the bonding process, at the very least it is fun to watch.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRT
Update: It's been a couple weeks now since I've added the clown and anemone. While he has yet to actually go in it, he does swim very close to it and actually rubs it once in awhile. Maybe this is all part of the bonding process, at the very least it is fun to watch.
foreplay lol
Old 12-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
lol yes If they haven't been hosting an anemone for awhile, and then they decide to host one, they will rub up against it every now and then to build up their immunity to the sting and then soon they will be all over the anemone.

Tags
anemone, clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com