Clowns and Anemone's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DodgeRT

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a question about the relationship between the clowns and their host anemone's. I bought a clown fish and the anemone the other day and while they where in the lfs the clown pretty much stayed in the anemone. Now that I have them home in my tank the clown doesnt seem to want to have anything to do with it. Both are doing fine from a health stand point, they only thing that I can figure is that its a 75 gallon tank and the clown is the only fish I have in it. Could it be because he has so much room for himself that he doesnt feel he needs the anemone?

To be honest, there is no guarantee that they will host. But since they are both in a new home, I would give the clown some time to explore and the anemone time to adjust to your lighting and finding a nice comfy place.

As he said there is no guarantee they will host. I bought one along time ago and my clown chose a coral instead.

Give them time to acclimate to the tank. There is no guarantee, but you have a better chance of the clown was wild caught.

What really has me confused though is that I watched them for about a week in the fish store and they seemed to be hosting. Then I get them home and nothing. It's still neat, just wish he would at least acknowledge the anemone. lol

There is just no way to predict it. You will have to wait and see what happens. BTW...how old is your tank and what do you have for lighting?

If indeed the anemone was playing surrogate to the clownfish, it very well could rehost. May I ask, what other inhabitants was the clownfish sharing the tank with at the lfs? Were they bagged separately or together in a single bag? Although condylactis normally are not accepted as a host anemone, various corals, pvc, and other mechanical equipment are not natural hosts either, yet clownfish still adopt them. Depending on what other inhabitants you have filled your tank with, the clownfish may not feel insecure in wanting that particular host any longer.

He is the only swimming inhabitant in the tank. I have the usual clean up crew of crabs, snails and some shrimp in there. I suspect he feels secure enough that he doesn't need to be in there.

Tankbred vs. Wildcaught clowns doesn't have anything to do with it IME and IMO and others.

I'm just going by anecdotal evidence that there is a difference. I don't know of any studies that have shown or looked for a difference.

I think clowns will host in whatever it wants to. Like people, kinda like a personal preferrence. I have a pair of clowns that squatted on a toadstool mushroom. And when I gave that away, they relocated to my pink Colt Coral. They're crazy fish. A lot of fun to observe.

Update: It's been a couple weeks now since I've added the clown and anemone. While he has yet to actually go in it, he does swim very close to it and actually rubs it once in awhile. Maybe this is all part of the bonding process, at the very least it is fun to watch.

DodgeRT said:
Update: It's been a couple weeks now since I've added the clown and anemone. While he has yet to actually go in it, he does swim very close to it and actually rubs it once in awhile. Maybe this is all part of the bonding process, at the very least it is fun to watch.
foreplay lol :oops:

lol yes If they haven't been hosting an anemone for awhile, and then they decide to host one, they will rub up against it every now and then to build up their immunity to the sting and then soon they will be all over the anemone.

Back
Top Bottom