Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-09-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Clowns and Garlic

I see many people posting about socking the brine shrimp and other foods in garlic extract? Where do you get this stuff?? Is this what you ask for when buying it?
Also I posted earlier I got a pair of clowns and everyone seems to be getting along. I have 1 yellow tail damsel and as soon as I put the yellow wrasse and 2 clowns in the tank, the damsel went and hid. He doesnt seem to mind them now. The clowns ate well the 1st time I fed them. I feed every other day. But I tried to feed them last night and they dont seem to interested in eating the brine I fed them 2 days ago.....is this normal? I have about 30 lbs of LR in there so maybe they are picking at it?? I want to try soaking the bring or other food (any suggestions) to feed them.

fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well some LFS's will carry 'aquarium' garlic. You could look in your grocery store under the spices and such for garlic juice or you could do what I did. Use a garlic press and press fresh whole cloves of garlic. If you do it slowly with even pressure you will be able to extract the oil,water thats in the garlic clove. Keep this seperate from the meat of the clove. It only takes 2-3 cloves to get enough to soak.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I use Kent's Garlic Xtreme, which is available both online and possibly at your LFS. It's very potent garlic extract and is made specifically for aquarium use.

You can also make your own garlic juice by soaking cut up fresh garlic cloves in RO water overnight.

Be wary of garlic oils or powders made for human consumption, they may contain additives that aren't good for your fish or water chemistry.

As for food, you might consider mysis shrimp or plankton instead of brine. Brine shrimp carries very little nutritional value... I've heard it compared to potato chips for fish.

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Seachem's Garlic guard is economical (price wise) and works very well. Ingredients are garlic extract and ascorbic acid (vitamin C). The 16 oz. goes a long way.
pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
I had two black percs that wouldn't even take mysis shrimp. After adding Kent's garlic xtreme, they ate like pigs. After 2 days I stopped adding the garlic and they eat fine. I would only use the garlic to get fish to start eating. BTW, that stuff is strong. Kent puts their bottle in another container because it is potent. If you get it, open the bottel away from you.
cookiemn is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, clowns, garlic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com