clowns and new anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RedLeggedHermit said:
can you get t5 bulbs that shine white instead of blue? honestly im not a big fan of the blue tint. it says it makes the colors pop better but ... no.. it doesn't. my white bulb is ALOT better. which buy the way i dont remember where i got it or what kind it is. it has some writing on it which says
F20T12-PL/AQ-ECO
wide spectrum 20w (made in the USA)
dont know if thats a good bulb or not. a T12 should be weaker then a T8 right? but my xenia coral i bought will actually open and extend itself under its light. but not under my t8 bulb's. maybe its the color of the light it likes better??

A "wide spectrum" plant/aquarium bulb isn't a good choice for a reef tank. Also, many photosynthetic dependent ocean dwellers will open up and extend, and very often, OVER extend when placed under lights that are to weak to support them. They over-inflate in an attempt to expose as much tissue (and algae) to the light as they can because they must in order to (hopefully) survive. Anemones and LPS corals are known to do this under weak light. Seeing this is a clear indicator that the lights are not up to supporting them. The same animal, housed under strong light, will not extend it's tissue like that.

CorallineAlgae said:
A "wide spectrum" plant/aquarium bulb isn't a good choice for a reef tank. Also, many photosynthetic dependent ocean dwellers will open up and extend, and very often, OVER extend when placed under lights that are to weak to support them. They over-inflate in an attempt to expose as much tissue (and algae) to the light as they can because they must in order to (hopefully) survive. Anemones and LPS corals are known to do this under weak light. Seeing this is a clear indicator that the lights are not up to supporting them. The same animal, housed under strong light, will not extend it's tissue like that.

Might try a 10k white with Actinic imo actinic is neccessary for coral as it is better absorbed by coral and in your case anenome tissue

Holygral said:
We must quit buying specimens and fish we want, and only buy specimen's that our tanks will support. That goes with corals and fish.

I definitly agree. I dont see your anemone living very long, you simply were not prepared and the nem will suffer because of it :/

how many t5 bulbs will i need. i just found a 4 bulb fixture on ebay. will that work? or do they need more?

how many t5 bulbs will i need. i just found a 4 bulb fixture on ebay. will that work? or do they need more?

Is your tank under 30 gal then 4 bulb t5 ho. I have the odyssea fixture which I think is the one your looking at on ebay its around $70. It works great dont let the bad reviews from years ago discourage you. The fixture is also cheaper on aquatraders than on ebay.

its a 29 gallon tank. they sell them at different sizes. and it says 30" HO Quad/6PC T5 Aquarium salt fresh water light fixture. i dont think its an odyssea. i just tried but couldn't find one of those that was 30 inches.

very nice light system. :) and it comes with 4 bulbs too. whats it mean separate power cords?

Its the one I have also. It has 3 cords. One for the 10000k, one for the actinics and one for the moonlights. Works great on my 29.

thanks guys for all the input. i was afraid id never find enough light for my nems and corals for a price i could afford. :D

alright my order is in and now all i have to do is wait 3 to 5 days!! i cant wait. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom