clowns and new anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just bought two new clowns for my tank. in the store they were hosting a condy. which is the same kind of anemone i have. will that fact make it more likely for them to host mine since they already recognized one as a host?

RedLeggedHermit said:
i just bought two new clowns for my tank. in the store they were hosting a condy. which is the same kind of anemone i have. will that fact make it more likely for them to host mine since they already recognized one as a host?

Yes, but not a guarantee.

im also sitting their bag just above the anemone while the temps level off. they are both facing straight down. we'll see if i get lucky. lol

RedLeggedHermit said:
in less then 24 hours!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Grats!! I just seen on your profile it says your using a 17w T8?? I hope thats still not the case. Nem will not survive with that low lighting.

thanks. im very happy right now. :) yes its still the case. i bought it cause the box said that it was ideal for marine and reef tanks. and i dont have the money to buy another fixture and more bulbs. :I he does seem to look like hes regained some of the color in his tentacles. not alot but some.

RedLeggedHermit said:
thanks. im very happy right now. :) yes its still the case. i bought it cause the box said that it was ideal for marine and reef tanks. and i dont have the money to buy another fixture and more bulbs. :I he does seem to look like hes regained some of the color in his tentacles. not alot but some.

Well marketing on boxes is just that, marketing. Im afraid i dont see the nem doing very well under that lighting so my first upgrade would be lights. Best of luck.

Well marketing on boxes is just that, marketing. Im afraid i dont see the nem doing very well under that lighting so my first upgrade would be lights. Best of luck.

ya true. well ill see what i can do about more light. but he'll most likely have to hold on until my next paycheck on the 24.

P.S. i am going to post new pics of my tank. there has been some changes. and additions. :)

Since you will have to wait on lights, now would be a good time to get some books about reef keeping and do a lot of research. You need to really have the proper equipment before you buy a lot of livestock that won't survive. It will waste a lot of your money. Don't make the same mistake a lot of beginners do. Read a lot of the forum threads. You can learn a lot from there too. I have two saltwater tanks and a freshwater tank and there is still a lot for me to learn. We ask each other. Even if it sounds silly. Lol. Good luck.

ya i joined this forum cause i didn't know squat. haha :) and you guys have alot of experience.

can you get t5 bulbs that shine white instead of blue? honestly im not a big fan of the blue tint. it says it makes the colors pop better but ... no.. it doesn't. my white bulb is ALOT better. which buy the way i dont remember where i got it or what kind it is. it has some writing on it which says
F20T12-PL/AQ-ECO
wide spectrum 20w (made in the USA)
dont know if thats a good bulb or not. a T12 should be weaker then a T8 right? but my xenia coral i bought will actually open and extend itself under its light. but not under my t8 bulb's. maybe its the color of the light it likes better??

RedLeggedHermit said:
can you get t5 bulbs that shine white instead of blue? honestly im not a big fan of the blue tint. it says it makes the colors pop better but ... no.. it doesn't. my white bulb is ALOT better. which buy the way i dont remember where i got it or what kind it is. it has some writing on it which says
F20T12-PL/AQ-ECO
wide spectrum 20w (made in the USA)
dont know if thats a good bulb or not. a T12 should be weaker then a T8 right? but my xenia coral i bought will actually open and extend itself under its light. but not under my t8 bulb's. maybe its the color of the light it likes better??

Look for between 6500k and 10000k t5ho bulbs, they will not look blue 6500k is around natural sunlight , 10000k is very cool white. Only difference in t5 and t12 bulbs is their diameter the number is how many 1/8 of an inch the bulb is so a t5 is 5/8 and a t12 is 12/8 or 1 1/2" . T5's are better because you can fit more of them above your tank.

Unfortunately the anemone will disagree with you as to what makes the colour pop. Blue light is what their bacteria absorb and is what is important to the anemone. Additionally it penetrates the water coloum much better.
That is why you should have some of each light.

im planning on buying a 30inch double t5 light fixture. so would 2X 30inch coralife T5 High output 10,000K lights work? it says its a bluish-white light though. so maybe one of them and one thats blue?

im planning on buying a 30inch double t5 light fixture. so would 2X 30inch coralife T5 High output 10,000K lights work? it says its a bluish-white light though. so maybe one of them and one thats blue?

Sorry but a 2 bulb fixture is not going to work for a nem......

Back
Top Bottom