Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenturtle
How big are the clowns and the watchman goby? And how big is the tank?
Female clown is about 2- 2 1/2" and male clown is about 1 1/2". The watchman is about 1 1/2". Male clown leaves him alone for the most part. My tank is a 29 biocube.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by disman_ca
If your goby doesn't figure it out soon, the clowns will drag him right into the anemone. My tomato clown will sometimes feed the anemone if I drop the chunk of fish in the right place. Look it up on youtube and you'll see how the can fling the fish right into it. (I hope this doesn't happen to yours)
Wow, I actually did hear they do that and remember watching it happen on YouTube! I never thought of that but it could very well be that she's doing that! What a horrible death! She hasn't fed the nem yet but I've been trying to "train" or "help" her to by giving her the piece of silverside. She has been starting to take the piece and carry it around, but just doesn't quite know where she's suppose to put it yet. She wont let the male in it. Its funny, at night she sleeps in the nem and the male sleeps on the outside of it on the body. Lol it like he's constantly in the doghouse or something.
As far as this bullying the watchman, It's easy to get mad at the clowns but I have to keep telling myself it's just nature, and it's not their fault. It's mainly my fault. My LFS recommended that I put all other fish in that I wanted before the clowns and I'm usually a good listener but a friend had to get rid of her tank and wanted to give her clowns a good home so I took them, and actually I wanted to have a pair of percs after I stocked it with other fish first, but I couldn't turn it down. I'm just hoping for the best! Everyone is eating great though. The yellow clown goby doesn't like anything but cyclop-eeze so far.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck remember stress can and does turn into disease.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Not the fishes fault, they are just programmed to do what they do. I have made the same mistakes more than once.
Now, when I go the LFS, I take a small reference guide to help me not make a purchase I will eventually regret. The LFS may or may not have a clue.

There are some hard rules with damsels as they are so pugnacious.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haven't seen the watchman today... Last time I had a fish disappear like this it was my yellow head jawfish and the following day the hermits were finishing up the last bit of him. Still haven't figured out what happened with that guy, the clowns never bothered him. Crossing my fingers the watchman appears soon but it's not looking good.
I have a question though. If I want to replace the watchman it will be my last fish to add. Can I move the clowns to a QT for a couple days when I add the new fish and then put them back in. Objective being that they won't attack it.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH-l3ioCub3
Haven't seen the watchman today... Last time I had a fish disappear like this it was my yellow head jawfish and the following day the hermits were finishing up the last bit of him. Still haven't figured out what happened with that guy, the clowns never bothered him. Crossing my fingers the watchman appears soon but it's not looking good.
I have a question though. If I want to replace the watchman it will be my last fish to add. Can I move the clowns to a QT for a couple days when I add the new fish and then put them back in. Objective being that they won't attack it.
Honestly...I don't know. It depends on the fish and the circumstances. As soon as I would say...sure, that will work, somebody will post that it won't.
I tried raising jawfish a few years ago and found my aragonite substrate wasn't good enough for them to properly burrow.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH-l3ioCub3
You could just get a more aggressive fish than the clowns such as a sixline wrasse. That would work and you would not have to qt anyone.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewatson249

You could just get a more aggressive fish than the clowns such as a sixline wrasse. That would work and you would not have to qt anyone.
I have a sixline and its by no means more aggressive than my clowns.I know every fish has its own personality, and my sixline certainly doesn't get picked on, but clowns are a type of damsel. Doesn't get much more aggressive and territorial than that haha. That being said I added my clowns first, my sixline was next and I've never had a problem with aggression. I think it'd work.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I really want to have the watchman and pistol shrimp combo. I mean, if I can't do it then I guess I'll do a more aggressive fish but if a quarantine will work I'd like to give it a try. Will it work?
I may also try another jawfish, they can defend themselves pretty well.
I don't have a confirmed death of the watchman yet so I'm not gonna jump the gun here.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

Honestly...I don't know. It depends on the fish and the circumstances. As soon as I would say...sure, that will work, somebody will post that it won't.
I tried raising jawfish a few years ago and found my aragonite substrate wasn't good enough for them to properly burrow.
I know, I doesn't seem there are any guarantees in reefing. But if there's a possibility of it working is it worth the try? I don't want it to Hurt my clowns tho. May there be added stress because of their hosting the anemone?
Would inadequate substrate have killed my jawfish within a week?

Tags
attacking, clown, clowns, goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com