Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clowns attacking watchman goby

I just added a watchman and clown goby and my 2 false percs won't stop beating up the watchman. Doesn't seem like they're bothered by the clown goby. I tried turning lights of but these clowns are relentless. I believe they're being so aggressive because they're hosting an anemone.
Any suggestions?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Not much you can do now. Clowns are just damsel fishes and they are gram for gram the most territorial fish there are. Hopefully, they will give up, or the watchman will stay away from them.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea the clown goby was smart and sat on a rock and stayed still while the watchman was swimming around all freaked out and nosing the glass and kees going near the anemone and the clowns just weren't gonna have that! If he would just go to the bottom and sit still on the sand away from the nem they wouldn't bother him.
So frustrating!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am mainly following this post because I am getting a 29 biocube and my future stocklist is exactly yours (pair of clowns, watchman goby, and a clown goby). The watchman goby is probably trying to explore it's new tank, and the clowns just do not want him near their anemone.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenturtle
I am mainly following this post because I am getting a 29 biocube and my future stocklist is exactly yours (pair of clowns, watchman goby, and a clown goby). The watchman goby is probably trying to explore it's new tank, and the clowns just do not want him near their anemone.
Same here!!!

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

you might try moving a bit of your rock into a nice cave, and kind of nudge the goby towards it. Mine shot right for the prettiest cave in the tank and has never had a single problem with my clowns. Granted my tanks bigger, but still.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenturtle
Exactly what I was thinking. They actually started leaving him alone and he found a cave behind the rockwork but he's just so bold that he comes out and tries to defend himself but the female clown gets the best of him. My Wife just texted me and said that the female was dragging him around the tank by his tail! Poor guy I hope they can make amends or call a truce... They don't bother the clown goby, I'm surprised, I thought they'd take him for food since he's so tiny.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big are the clowns and the watchman goby? And how big is the tank?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know it's not much help now but it's always best to put the most aggressive fish in last. I have a yellow watchman, 2 clowns, and a sixline wrasse. They went in in that order and are all fine together.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If your goby doesn't figure it out soon, the clowns will drag him right into the anemone. My tomato clown will sometimes feed the anemone if I drop the chunk of fish in the right place. Look it up on youtube and you'll see how the can fling the fish right into it. (I hope this doesn't happen to yours)

Tags
attacking, clown, clowns, goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com