Clowns or Damsels in The Reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
so ive been debating whether to remove my caramel clown and moving him to my bedroom reef tank or going with a school of maybe yellowtail damsels or 3-stripe damsels just for activity in the reef, i would love a school of either, or keep my caramels in the tank, what do you guys think..? also my tank is a 75g, thanks in advance guys, (y)

I've got a tank with 3 big domino damsels and 6 big clarkii clownfish. They get along very well. But it's definitely a high risk situation.

Clowns are technically damsels lol. That being said damsels are a waste of tank space IMO as they can get nasty real quick.

even i pack of damsels in an odd number? and i know they are i mean ocellaris clown versus chrysiptera lol

Idk maybe it would swell aggression but they're unpredictable behavior wise.

Blue reef chromis are pretty cool (not the blue green ones). I would not put damsels in your reef tank unless they were the only fish.

p-70119-chromis.jpg

I agree with everyone else, damsels are just too aggressive. I had an azure damselfish when I first started, and he went after everything (including my puffers)!

I have had green chromis successfully, and I have seen those blue reef chromis online and wanted them because they are really pretty fish. While these are technically damsels, as are clowns, they seem to be very peaceful and school nicely.

Clowns are always great. I love them. I’ve kept ocellaris and percula clowns, and they are awesome fish. So much fun to watch.

I agree with everyone else, damsels are just too aggressive. I had an azure damselfish when I first started, and he went after everything (including my puffers)!

I have had green chromis successfully, and I have seen those blue reef chromis online and wanted them because they are really pretty fish. While these are technically damsels, as are clowns, they seem to be very peaceful and school nicely.

Clowns are always great. I love them. I’ve kept ocellaris and percula clowns, and they are awesome fish. So much fun to watch.

I have heard that they will (the chromis) eventually kill of the weakest member of the group untillxtheir are only a few left and that they can be fairly territorial in a peaceful tank. Don't know if this is actually true or not.

Sadly I didn't hear about this out until I purchased two of them...

I would love a school of 5 blue reef chromis, theyre just very pricey, I know its super fat fetched but imagine the same blue on a clownfish!

Back
Top Bottom