Clowns picked frog spawn over anenomie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maiceman

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 2 new percula clowns picked the frog spawn to set up shop over the long tentical anenomie. I am a bit concerned that the anenomie will not do as well as it would with a nice pair of clowns taking care of it. Any suggestions?

Sometimes clowns will do that :wink: I would give them a couple of days, then I might try taping a pic of some more clowns to the tank closest to the anemone. This may provide enough "competition" that they will go to the anemone.

I agree with both Kevin and Micheal. Take my clown for instance. I have had my Spine-cheek for about three years now. When I got him I also bought a H. magnifica anemone. He ignored the magnifica like the plague. He finally took up in a colony of Anthia when the colony grew to his liking (check him out in the Jan pic contest). As for the magnifica, well he has thrived, grown to approx 14"-15" in diameter. The clown has also thrived....grown to at least 3" in length. I also did some homework and learned if your trying to match clowns and anemones make sure you find out if they come from the same region. If they don't they most likely will never take up a relationship. On the other hand they can be from the same region and still not take (possible, but not likely). In the end it's all up to nature and the animals. :) But hey, that is is one of the greatest things about this hobby....the learning! :D Good Luck with your clown and anemone.

Hatian tip anemones (Condylactis gigantea) are not host anemones, and ave a very potent sting. Although, have seen many clowns adopt condys, it is just as likely they will adopt a coral.

Well they did host that anenome in the former owners tank. when i bought it and put the contents of my tank in it with the hammer they switched.
Im not crazy about that anenome though, he moves all over the tank and is kinda small. great color though.

Back
Top Bottom