Clumpy salt!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gvillboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had this bag a salt for a while now and it's starting to get hard. The salt is starting to form small rock that are easily broken apart. Should I still be using this salt when making my water? Is it bad? What could happen?

Sent from my HTC One X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That happens when exposed to air to long

It's kinda hard to keep that bag tight after it's been opened. But should I throw it away or use it still?

I always used mine when it clumped up. I bought a 5 gallon bucket and lid and store my salt that way now, it doesn't get hard anymore.

Salt is a natural desiccant.

It's just getting a head start on mixing with water for you. Keep it and use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

in the summer months it gets hot and humid
causing moister to form in the salt in return causes clumps form
using salt with clumps can cause a higher salinity as the clump dissolves it also causes inaccurate measurements
premixed water that was made with clumpy salt don't dissolve fully and can cause smaller clumps to fall on coral burning it as you add that water to your tank
storing salt in a air tight bucket or a large zip loc bag to prevent condensation so your salt wont clump
you can salvage salt and remove clumps by using a flour sifter once clumps are removed dispose them in the trash
put the sifted salt in a air tight zip loc bag
store it in a cool dry place

in the summer months it gets hot and humid
causing moister to form in the salt in return causes clumps form
using salt with clumps can cause a higher salinity as the clump dissolves it also causes inaccurate measurements
premixed water that was made with clumpy salt don't dissolve fully and can cause smaller clumps to fall on coral burning it as you add that water to your tank
storing salt in a air tight bucket or a large zip loc bag to prevent condensation so your salt wont clump
you can salvage salt and remove clumps by using a flour sifter once clumps are removed dispose them in the trash
put the sifted salt in a air tight zip loc bag
store it in a cool dry place

Ok thank you for the information. I'm going to try and find a bucket. Where did you buy yours from?

I always used mine when it clumped up. I bought a 5 gallon bucket and lid and store my salt that way now, it doesn't get hard anymore.

Where did you buy your bucket from?

Back
Top Bottom