cnister filter/refugium vs. sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had another thread started on this question, but I got some more information on my filters and it looks like I really don't need a sump, but I would like to hear it from the experts, YOU ALL. I have a EHIEM Professional Pump Wet/Dry model 2229 ( three chambers for medium and pulsing pump fro wave making) and another Eheim Professional Standard model 2224. Both are rated for 145 gal I will have a 100 gal reef only. The wet/dry unit seems like it will work very well. I wouldn't have purchased these on my own, but they came with the tank. I don't just want to mothball $450 worth of filters if I can use them. If I also have a refugium an big skimmer should I still be OK. I don't want to just take a chance if I'm destined for failure. I just like the added benefit of the refuge too. They breed some pretty cool critters and macros. Cant I just add my chemicals into the refuge instead of straight into the tank.

And for those who recognize me from my previous thread, I will be getting some better lighting.

You can use the filters rather than mothball them, but I would recommend removing any media from them, the media will only increase your nitrates. You would use them to put auxillary equipment and increase water volume, you could also make additional fuges out of them I think, not familial with the eheims, if they are the cannister wet/drys, that wouldn't work.

Wet/Dry Versions. The media is small rocks. About 10 pounds. I know I would need to clean them, but these pumps are really easy to clean. The hoses have a lock on them to stop suction and keep water in the lins while removing the cartridge. No priming needed, the whole process would only take about ten minutes. I would be using my 12 gal nano for the fuge, has lights and all.

Here is some info on the Eheim Wet/Dry
Since EHFISUBSTRAT is used as the only filter media, it offers a surface area for bacteria colonization 10 times that of a trickle filter with the same dimensions. The water movement within the filter is bi-directional allowing for extended contact time between the bacteria colonies, oxygen and the toxins to be decomposed giving this filter a much quicker breakdown time than the standard filters. (Ammonia 73% and nitrite 67% faster)
In addition, due to the bi-directional water flow within the filter it mechanically breaks down larger debris rather than trapping them. As a result its service life is extended to approximately one cleaning every six months.

Wet/Dry Versions. The media is small rocks. About 10 pounds. I know I would need to clean them, but these pumps are really easy to clean.

It's not so much a matter of cleaning (although important) it's a matter of their purpose is nitrification, the end process of which is nitrate, and there is no anoxic area, in proximity, for denitrification.

Back
Top Bottom