Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #51
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The solution is just a 4dkh reference solution with a ph measuring chemical mixed in with it.

It's like the ph chemical for normal ph test? I saw instructions somewhere.

I don't really use the ph kit anymore except for checking so could readily spare some. The 4dkh solution sounded easy (er, just precise).

Still hoping for an email answer tonight.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:21 AM   #52
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Haha that would be a great idea if possible.

I'll bet some of the labs here in the hospital could provide dissolved c02 readings. I think breweries use meters too for quality testing purposes.

I'm starting to wonder how the solution is calibrated at source. Would it have to be calibrated in a chamber that cannot allow for alterations caused by atmospheric co2 for example. When you take the lid off the solution for the first time does that alter the solution in any way? I don't think that they would be that anal. After all, they have just targeted a niche in the market for churning out drop checkers and since the value is approximate they can get away without worrying about being overly accurate.

What are the more expensive drop checkers like?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

got to be something.

The wish list had a potassium test kit and a par meter next (calling Santa!).

Old 01-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
It's like the ph chemical for normal ph test? I saw instructions somewhere.

I don't really use the ph kit anymore except for checking so could readily spare some. The 4dkh solution sounded easy (er, just precise).

Still hoping for an email answer tonight.
Yep, remember that ph changes in a measurable amount based on dkh and co2. You can use that co2 chart to check the ph that you want to shoot for and color match it. You would probably have to measure the amount of water in the drop checker and add an equal amount to match the normal testing levels of solution.

The reference solution can be made fairly easily as well. There are directions stickied on the planted tank forum.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're never going to get an accurate test without proper machines and apparatus at the end of the day

I mean accurate as in matching the chart.

The drop checkers are really just and indication that something is a miss.

It's worrying that you have read reports on some failing to read high c02 when livestock were gasping.

As mentioned, In marine setups where buffers are part of the habitat and where alkalinity is closely monitored changes in ph do warrant close inspection with particular attention to co2.

Is the drop checker telling us anymore than this approach?

Old 01-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
You're never going to get an accurate test without proper machines and apparatus at the end of the day

I mean accurate as in matching the chart.

The drop checkers are really just and indication that something is a miss.

It's worrying that you have read reports on some failing to read high c02 when livestock were gasping.

As mentioned, In marine setups where buffers are part of the habitat and where alkalinity is closely monitored changes in ph do warrant close inspection with particular attention to co2.

Is the drop checker telling us anymore than this approach?

That "report" is not much more than just a snapshot. We have no way of knowing what was actually happening with the tank. Did the co2 output change suddenly? There's a lag between co2 injection and measurement by the drop checker. Did the solution mix wear out in the drop checker? Was the person using a crappy drop checker? Did the person mix the solution properly? Did the person use 4dkh reference solution? Heck, I've even had a piece of duckweed lodge in my drop checker unexpectedly giving me absolutely no registered co2 readings.

Also, as to "accuracy" we have absolutely no need to have a 100% accurate reading. Just a ballpark figure is more than enough to tell us everything we need to know.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
That "report" is not much more than just a snapshot. We have no way of knowing what was actually happening with the tank. Did the co2 output change suddenly? There's a lag between co2 injection and measurement by the drop checker. Did the solution mix wear out in the drop checker? Was the person using a crappy drop checker? Did the person mix the solution properly? Did the person use 4dkh reference solution? Heck, I've even had a piece of duckweed lodge in my drop checker unexpectedly giving me absolutely no registered co2 readings.

Also, as to "accuracy" we have absolutely no need to have a 100% accurate reading. Just a ballpark figure is more than enough to tell us everything we need to know.

Both true. That's why I'm kind of interested to see how accurate they actually are.

Dela, perhaps we should start a new thread or knock it on the head as "unsolved" lol

Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #57
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Both true. That's why I'm kind of interested to see how accurate they actually are.

Dela, perhaps we should start a new thread or knock it on the head as "unsolved" lol

Yeah, bit more complicated than I thought. I'll report back on anything from emails or testing but will park it as nothing on google.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #58
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

A update just to report ... Nothing.

The help section is extremely useless. So far I've been told to contact a distributer - tried that and got sent back to supplier. Frankly if the supplier doesn't know...grrr.

Also the supplier finally gave up and gave me the technical details .... For the wrong product.

I've also tried searching the FAQ on the website as well and that has been a washout.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
A update just to report ... Nothing.

The help section is extremely useless. So far I've been told to contact a distributer - tried that and got sent back to supplier. Frankly if the supplier doesn't know...grrr.

Also the supplier finally gave up and gave me the technical details .... For the wrong product.

I've also tried searching the FAQ on the website as well and that has been a washout.
hahaha that's awesome
Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 AM   #60
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I can see I will have to go "old school" and make a solution up. Character building....

Tags
co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com