Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2015, 04:19 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The higher end test kits are quite accurate for measuring dKH. The red sea kit I use for example is accurate within 0.14dKH which for all intents and purposes would allow for a margin of error that's not going to harm anything.

That means you have to add 100 drops to measure a dKh of 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
That means you have to add 100 drops to measure a dKh of 14.

Thats actually it's margin of error. Any reading you take with the kit will be between + or - 0.14dKh of the reading you're getting. I.e. if you get a 14dKh reading it will be between 14.14dKh and 13.86dKh

Old 01-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #63
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Thats actually it's margin of error. Any reading you take with the kit will be between + or - 0.14dKh of the reading you're getting. I.e. if you get a 14dKh reading it will be between 14.14dKh and 13.86dKh

It's too late here.

Is that 0.14 times the reading or +/- the reading?
Old 01-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
It's too late here.

Is that 0.14 times the reading or +/- the reading?
+ or -

All test kits have an accuracy range. The api kits have a fairly wide range whereas other kits such as red sea are more accurate.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

API Alk test kit relies on how good your eyes on colors. Since you count the number of drops (aka 14 drops means 14dkH). I go with Ingy's interpretation of .14 margin of error. Meaning each drop has a graduation of .14. If you have 70 drops then your Alk is 70 x 0.14.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
API Alk test kit relies on how good your eyes on colors. Since you count the number of drops (aka 14 drops means 14dkH). I go with Ingy's interpretation of .14 margin of error. Meaning each drop has a graduation of .14. If you have 70 drops then your Alk is 70 x 0.14.
I'm not sure what test kit you guys are talking about. I use the red sea test kit where you take 1ml of the solution into a syringe and slowly titrate it into a measured amount of tank water. However much you add when the color changes from blue to orange tells you how much dKh you have. With each drop being roughly 0.01mL 70 drops would put you at 9.8dKh but you don't measure it by drops anyways. I think we are on two different pages here.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Isn't that what I exactly said "If you have 70 drops then your Alk is 70 x 0.14."? Which is equals to 9.8 dkH?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:52 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Isn't that what I exactly said "If you have 70 drops then your Alk is 70 x 0.14."? Which is equals to 9.8 dkH?
Ahh, I gotcha. I thought you were saying that the 70 drops was going to give you a 14 dKh. I must've misread it.

Just for shiggles I measured the volume for drops and 70 drops gives a 10.6 dKh measurement. That's why I said "roughly" 0.01mL / drop. Not that it matters.

However, to get my point across this is straight from the red sea site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sea
Red Sea’s KH/Alkalinity Pro Test Kit is an advanced titration test, measuring the level of buffers in your reef aquarium to an exceptionally high accuracy of 0.05 meq/l (0.14 dKH).
And so we are on the same page; here's the definition of accuracy "The accuracy of a measurement is how close a result comes to the true value."

So assuming that you are measuring a reference solution with a known value of 4dKh you will get somewhere between 3.86 and 4.14 if you take the statement by red sea by its literal meaning.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, that makes sense.

I should change to that when my current test is used up. I use a similar test for calcium and magnesium (I never realized how many drops are in 1 ml). But my Alk test is 1 drop per 1/2 Meq/l.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Hmm, that makes sense.

I should change to that when my current test is used up. I use a similar test for calcium and magnesium (I never realized how many drops are in 1 ml). But my Alk test is 1 drop per 1/2 Meq/l.

The red sea kits are great, I got the Reef Foundation kit and it was well worth it. Although the magnesium test is a bit of a pita.

Tags
co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com