Coco worm not coming out....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Weehawken64

Aquarium Advice Regular
My coco worm which I've had for 3 weeks and seemed to be doing well suddenly has stop coming out. It's been about a day that it hasn't come out. Is this normal for them? Thank you.

It may have shed it's crown, You may want to keep it around Because it will grow a new one!
Give it a week or two, patients :)

Thanks I will be patient. I just hope it's eating. If it shed a crown would I be able to see it in the tank?

Coco worms being in their tube for too long or shedding their crown is a sign of stress. I'd watch for things picking on it, shift in parameters, flow issues. These guys have a high mortality rate and can be difficult to keep, basicaly almost needing target fed to give them the amount of food they need, but this can cause parameter issues which will then stress the worm... Quite the double edged sword for such a beautiful worm.

I feel that an established tank that has stabilized and has the ability to support a mandarin is on the same lines as a coco worm. Roughly should be able to give it the food it needs.

Thanks sniper. I am afraid it doesn't eat enough but every time I try to target feed it, it rushing back into its tube. Really the only food it gets is when I feed the fish and some particles of food float its way.

What are you trying to feed it? They don't eat large food like your fish, they eat miniscule things from the water column. Stole this from another site regarding their feeding.

Although Coco Worms subsist mainly on bacteria and organic matter produced within the aquarium they will benefit from supplemental feedings of marine snow, phytoplankton, and/or foods for filter feeders.

Yea I soak my food. Then the liquid which has small dissolved pieces of food particles I put in a baster and feed that. It was looking great for awhile. Now all of a sudden it's not coming out. Today either so far.

Yea I soak my food. Then the liquid which has small dissolved pieces of food particles I put in a baster and feed that. It was looking great for awhile. Now all of a sudden it's not coming out. Today either so far.

If it did shed it's crown you will see the worm most likely only at night time till its crown has grown a bit

supplements of phytoplankton and liquid organic foods should help. And you have to maintain you alkalinity and calcium levels for his hard calcium tube to grow

But is simple to do with just water changes, so I wouldn't worry about that considering we just want him to come out of his tube.

Mine goes in all the time, but at most stays in for an hour. It also hides if you try to target feed from too close. Look at the way the current is going over the coco worm and gently release the food from the turkey baster, or whatever you use, from several inches away. It'll get to it without scaring it.

I can see him inside the tube he just hasn't come out at all.

image-615956713.jpg

This was him before.

Hopefully it will come out again and I can try that feeding technique. Is there a food/supplement you guys can recommend I buy? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom