Cold Coral Yikes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hara was nice enough to mail me some Devil's hand Frags and they arrived tonight despite being mailed on Monday(thanks USPS). :roll:

Unfortunately the past two days have been the coldest this year in the teens and 20s. It is about 22 right now.

My wife had to leave around 4:00PM and I arrived home at 5:30PM to find the box on the front step. Even though the package was clearly marked the postal carrier left it on the front step on its side.

Hara did a great job pakaging and put the frags in a thermos. The water was not frozen, but it was ice cold and merky. I started a drip right away. The corals are light purple to gray in color.

Not sure what to do. :?

Do you think they have a chance?

My thought is to let them drip for another hour (three hours total). Then I will place them in the upper 1/3 of the main. The tank is doing so well, so I do not want to accidentally polute it.

Unless someone has some ideas I guess we will see what happens.

Anyone have any thoughts?

TIA,

Do you think they have a chance?
Honestly, you never know. Sometimes things look good yet perish in a few days.
let them drip for another hour (three hours total)
Sounds like a good idea. Slow acclimation is best here IMO considering they were in shipping for three days let alone the temp. swings.
The tank is doing so well, so I do not want to accidentally polute it.
Keep a close eye on your new additions. If one is beyond the point of no return, so to speak, you'll know. If it looks bad and smells worse remove it. Trust your instincts and best of luck.

Then I will place them in the upper 1/3 of the main
I would start off lower, at most halfway preferably less, to avoid light shock. Remember this animal has been in darknesss for three days and stressed in other ways also. HTH

If there is flesh, I would acclimate them and add them to the tank. Definately put them low in the tank. Some corals are very resilient.

Thanks all,

There is flesh and they are in the tank. I placed them in the middle and bottom.

I am curious to see what happens. I am hoping for the best.

Initial pics are now in gallery.

This morning before I left they were all laying on their side. Lights do not come on until 1:00PM. Not sure if this is good bad or indifferent? :?

Back
Top Bottom