Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cold Water Marine Aquarium

Hi Everyone, I'm Ewan and I'm from Scotland, and.... I'm new to the Forum!

A little bit about me, I have had various aquariums over the years, Cold marine, Cold freshwater and Tropical freshwater. But I am by no means an expert and still finding my way.

The cold water marine aquariums I had as a kid never had a chiller fitted and now that I'm older I realise that it wasn't good for the sealife. I have bought a new aquarium and plan to have a chiller system fitted. This is where I need a little bit of help....
I bought a small 14 gallon (55 litre) aquarium, Fluval 106 External Filter, Hailea HC-100A Water Chiller and a EHEIM 100L/H air pump. I watched a YouTube video explaining how to connect the chiller to an external filter pump, but have recently discovered that this is very bad for both chiller and filter, and believe I now have to fit an 2nd water pump dedicated to the chiller. Can anyone recommend a good silent water pump to chill the water, and also wondered if the water flowing into the chiller has to be filtered, or can I simply pump the water straight from the aquarium into the chiller.

I live by the beach (lucky me!) so both salt water and sealife is in abundance.

I would be grateful for any advice anyone can offer me.

Thanks, Ewan

Old 11-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should have a filter in the suction or intake of the chiller. It has already a built in pump so there is no need to add another pump otherwise you will be defeating its recommended capacity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the reply jeffaquarius, Unfortunately the manual says that the Hailea HC-100A does not contain a water pump and needs to have a water pump fitted.

Here is the specification of both Cannister filter and Water chiller.

Model: Hailea HC-100A
Power: 1/20HP
Rate of Flow: 200~1000L/H
Water Refrigerated: 50~220L

Model: Fluval 106 External Filter
Flow rate: 550 L/H
Old 11-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

In that case you can add the pump separately so you can do maintenance without affecting the other.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
In that case you can add the pump separately so you can do maintenance without affecting the other.
Do you have any recommendations of a good, but silent water pump, large enough to supply the needed water flow to the chiller?
Old 11-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can install a gate valve at the discharge or return so you can adjust the flow at the right amount.
Cobalt Aquatics E-X-T 800 Inline Water Pump

Old 11-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a chiller you can grow cold saltwater shrimps and eat them !

Tags
aquarium, ate, marine, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com