Cold Water Marine Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewenutz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone, I'm Ewan and I'm from Scotland, and.... I'm new to the Forum!

A little bit about me, I have had various aquariums over the years, Cold marine, Cold freshwater and Tropical freshwater. But I am by no means an expert and still finding my way.

The cold water marine aquariums I had as a kid never had a chiller fitted and now that I'm older I realise that it wasn't good for the sealife. I have bought a new aquarium and plan to have a chiller system fitted. This is where I need a little bit of help....
I bought a small 14 gallon (55 litre) aquarium, Fluval 106 External Filter, Hailea HC-100A Water Chiller and a EHEIM 100L/H air pump. I watched a YouTube video explaining how to connect the chiller to an external filter pump, but have recently discovered that this is very bad for both chiller and filter, and believe I now have to fit an 2nd water pump dedicated to the chiller. Can anyone recommend a good silent water pump to chill the water, and also wondered if the water flowing into the chiller has to be filtered, or can I simply pump the water straight from the aquarium into the chiller.

I live by the beach (lucky me!) so both salt water and sealife is in abundance.

I would be grateful for any advice anyone can offer me.

Thanks, Ewan

You should have a filter in the suction or intake of the chiller. It has already a built in pump so there is no need to add another pump otherwise you will be defeating its recommended capacity.

Thanks for the reply jeffaquarius, Unfortunately the manual says that the Hailea HC-100A does not contain a water pump and needs to have a water pump fitted.

Here is the specification of both Cannister filter and Water chiller.

Model: Hailea HC-100A
Power: 1/20HP
Rate of Flow: 200~1000L/H
Water Refrigerated: 50~220L

Model: Fluval 106 External Filter
Flow rate: 550 L/H

In that case you can add the pump separately so you can do maintenance without affecting the other.

Do you have any recommendations of a good, but silent water pump, large enough to supply the needed water flow to the chiller?

Back
Top Bottom