Collecting snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mekut

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone offer advice about where to collect the various algae eating snails?

Hi I'm new to this and I obviously am no help I bought snails and they are dirt stupid! They fall off the glass, land upside down and apparantly die for no apparant reason. So wish I could help but good luck!!!!! And hope you find what you're looking for. Can't you just purchase them from your local saltwater store? I get everthing I need or want from our local store and the owner helps me with everything. I have found it to be really helpful:D

To start with, what kind of snails FW or Salt? I think apple snails are a good FW choice, and I know thye live in Florida. Not too sure though. Pond snails are never too hard to find, you can often get those for free off of plants from your LFS.

edit: I am an idiot and didn't see what forum this was in, forget about those apple snails.

Kiwi, if you are getting astrea snails, they cannot right themselves when they get tipped over and they drown. ....and nothing dies for no apparent reason. If you are losing snails, you need to investigate your water quality closely.

Kiwi,

Check the water quality as Hara has suggested to be sure, but "dirt stupid" really does sum up Astrea snails to a "T".. LOL

Here's a list of snails you should look into that will be of much more benefit providing all the water specs check out.

Nassarius great for detritus and the sand bed.
Nerite especially good at film algaes..
Cerith cleans both the glass and the sand bed..
Bumblebees cleans up the uneaten food bits as well as detritus... looks cool too.
Margarita another excellent algae eater..

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom