Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ayesha97 Send a message via Yahoo to Ayesha97
Thanks for the warning BillyZ, I'll have to check into that. Its good to know that I'm not the only one who has gone out searching for my own critters.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your definately not alone. Me and my family are going out this weekend to get some livesand I live on the gulf side of florida. We are setting up a 75gal. reef tank so we will get our own sand and during the cycling it will kill off any bad stuff. We are getting off siesta key beach you probably havn't heard of that but it has one of floridas best beachs and the sand is pure white. We will get it in about 20-30ft. of water so it will be pretty clean!

flatzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:34 PM   #13

20-30 ft?? Thats gonna be a head ache, I got mine right where the waves broke for my nano reef. Its really tan though, the white looks best IMO. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2004, 04:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

We got our own dive gear. My mom and my brother are the ones that will be going down so it will save me a head ache. I have know Idea what there gonna put it in because you can't drill holes in a bucket because the sand will just pour out. But maybe it will sink without holes in it. Who knows?
Old 06-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #15

A new trash can would work, assuming you can fit it on the boat... (if your using a boat) Then just bring it up in 5 gal buckets. If you drill holes on the buckets bottom it will allow for water drainage and the sand will stay in. Some will come out but not enough to matter. Then just get your amount then remove it in buckets from the trash can, into ur tank. Ive done it with sand and water.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Our boat is 22 ft. so there should be enough room. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-04-2004, 05:46 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

JG - hello, neighbor!

I've collected some things from the NH seacoast (macro mostly), but it has never seemed to fare well in my tank/refugium/sump. I always thought that it was because of the extreme temperature difference. I've never dared to try actual live 'critters', though.

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com