color in my zoas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't seem to have much color in my zoas or polys. They are healthy and growing but the only time I see color is when my blue led's are on. Any other time with whites or actinics on, they have a brownish color..

Well, my light fixture can't really move anywhere else. You can see by the photo, my zoas just don't show much coloring

Attachments

• Lights.jpg
    Lights.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Zoa1.jpg
    Zoa1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 115
I guess I just see so many glowing coral pieces at my lhs. I know there are only a zillion types of zoas lol Of course, those pieces cost way more then mine did.

Maybe you can add a blue led strip to the light fixture. That would help with the color pop you are looking for. They pretty nice zoanthids. If you hate them I'd be happy to take them off your hands. Hahaha

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I get new zoas they look amazing at the store. After a day or two in my take the colors fade a little. But don't worry the colors come right back

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

mostly actinic and blue plus but 1 50/50 reef bulb

I'd ditch the 50/50 and run a coral + instead, I'd also swap out the actinics for either 2 blue + or 1 b+ and a purple + depending on how you like the color of your tank (I like pretty blue with t5s) and if you feel either of those combos are to bright you can use one of the actinic bulbs instead of a blue (shouldn't be to bright with only 4 bulbs though)

2 c+ and 2 b+ will give you a 14k look (moderately blue) or my personal favorite combo on 4 bulb units is 1 c+ and 3 b+, gives a nice crisp look IMO, or if want a 20k look (pretty blue) p+ and 3 b+

O yeah, that combo works great. I've grown sps no problem with a similar combo (6 bulb unit)

Sounds good. I'm due for a bulb change so I think I will go with that combo. ATI seems to have very good reviews

Back
Top Bottom