colt coral taking over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
do you have to remove it to frag it? if so, here's the problem... it's attatching to everything it comes in contact with including the glass. it's really starting to get out of hand. i moved it to the corner so i could see the rest of the tank but now it's stuck to the glass and 2 more rocks. what should i do?

I have the same coral and it definately grows like a weed. You do not need to remove it from the tank but it will slime up a fair bit after it's cut so be sure to add a good grade of carbon for a few days afterwards.

If you go to the local craft store, you should be able to pick up some cheap plastic exacto blades like this one.

olfablades_1778_1253654

Perfect for soft coral fragging and cheap enough to toss when your done if they rust. Rinsing the blade and drying it well could preserve it for another use though.

Simpley find a clear area to slice through the coral stock and have at it. It sound harsh but it's quite simple and as long as your water specs are good the coral will recover in very short order. Be sure the cut is clean, do not tear and try to wear latex gloves. They can be a little hard to get a grip on.

Once fragged, you will also need a clear area in low flow where the frags can be placed with rubble rock to attach. A shallow plastic food grade container with some veil material will work or a HOB breader box with pleanty of extra holes drilled in it for water flow which is what I use. The frags should attach in a week or two and then can be sold, traded or placed alternately in the tank. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

LOL i was thinking the same thing :wink: it is a beautiful coral. how long have you had it for?

not that long really, maybe about 6 months. it has at least doubled in size though. actually i wouldn't mind sending you frags if you tell me how to package them and pay for shipping :) i'll let you know when i get up the courage to start hacking away!

me 2 that is 1 healthy looking coral btw what do you feed it¿

Mr. Marine

me 2 that is 1 healthy looking coral btw what do you feed it¿

Mr. Marine

Back
Top Bottom